Notices

Supercharging the Twins

Old 09-21-2011, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharging the Twins

Got a hankering for a winter project. Want to know if anyone has put the m112 supercharger on a 350 mag. I know i would need bigger injectors, the computers retuned and a custom aftercooler and belt drive set ups. My motors only have 100 hours on them. Probably wouldnt hurt to refresh them but don't know how necssary that would be. I only want to run a max of 8 psi. Just lookin for some pointers from the knowledgeable.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Why not go with Whipple that has a kit designed for the marine application?

http://whipplesuperchargers.com/product.asp?ProdID=1216

You'll also need to add an oil cooler.

Last edited by Knot 4 Me; 09-21-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:29 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Which drives are you running?
Old 09-21-2011, 08:51 PM
Registered

well I like fabricating and I can pick up a couple of the m112 superchargers for around $300 a piece used off of an 03-04 cobra. the rebuild kits for those are cheap and easy to rebuild The injectors are very cheap to buy seperate as I would be able to use the stock injectors off of a ford lightning truck. They are 42 lbs injectors and people get rid of them when upgrading all the time. Hell new they arent that expensive. I have seen this mod done to vortec chevy motors using the marine intake and it works very well. Even at 10 lbs on a ported blower the power is constant across the torque curve. For only 8 lbs on the mercruiser 350 mag I would be able to get all the power I want and do it relatively inexpensively. the main cost would be labor which i want to do anyway. I will do a cost comparison as i go if anyone is inerested.

Last edited by Tug Life; 09-21-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:01 PM
Registered

stock Bravo 1 drives with stock gearing. They are good to handle the power.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:02 PM
Registered

stock Bravo 1 drives with stock gearing. They are good to handle the power. i will have to reprop the boat to gain anything but bblades is gonna be on call for that.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

TUG LIFE i love to see these kind of projects,whatever way you decide to go,keep us posted MIKE T
Old 09-22-2011, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Interesting project. Whom will you use to re-flash the ECM's? 8lbs. of boost might be a bit much. Might want to keep it around 5 - 6lbs. Please post updates and pics of your project as you progress.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:41 AM
Registered

yeah 5-6 was the ideal amount. the superchargers arent that big and might not even see 8 lbs. they were designed to run8 lbs on the 4.6 litre cobra motors with a stock pulley and no porting of the charger. with a different pulley and a good port job they were able to go as far as 16 lbs. psi doesnt mean much but the cfms are what really matter. they flow good enough to boost the 350 mag at low levels all the way across the tq curve. we will be doing the tuning in house using either tuner cat or hp tune. They are gm tuning softwares. should be fun im looking for all the part/peices right now and would like to get started in a few weeks. If I was going to boost the engine at higher levels I would go with a whipple kit for sure. and build the bottom end. but that is pricey for the outcome. I am looking at going from 73 mph to around 80-85. thats after new props and getting the tune right.