Notices

Closed cooling systems

Old 10-03-2011, 03:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Brainer

Its not a no brainer for me. This is all new to me. And maybe im not posing the question right.
Right now I know how my engines are cooled. Raw Sea Water up thru the drive engine and out the exhaust.

When I flush the engine now I hook freshwater up to the muffs and run the motors.

My question is if I install a KEPP system it says it uses the closed water system to cool the engine but uses raw water to cool the manifolds.

Im just not sure how that would work. Would I still have to flush both motors like I do now with the KEPP system? I was looking for a system that would prevent me from having to flush my engines after each use since all I do is boat in salt water. But maybe thats not possible.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:32 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by airshares
Its not a no brainer for me. This is all new to me. And maybe im not posing the question right.
Right now I know how my engines are cooled. Raw Sea Water up thru the drive engine and out the exhaust.

When I flush the engine now I hook freshwater up to the muffs and run the motors.

My question is if I install a KEPP system it says it uses the closed water system to cool the engine but uses raw water to cool the manifolds.

Im just not sure how that would work. Would I still have to flush both motors like I do now with the KEPP system? I was looking for a system that would prevent me from having to flush my engines after each use since all I do is boat in salt water. But maybe thats not possible.
All the closed systems still use sea water. The sea water runs through the heat exchanger and then out the exhaust. You still have to flush the salt/sea water out of the exchanger and exhaust.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Registered

the closed cooling system only protects the internal engine itself, not the manafolds
Old 10-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by MikeyFIN
Well I rather be an ass and make him think before some else is an A$$ and takes his money for a simple flush. This is a No-brainer.

You are right, this is a no brainer... you are an ass.
If his posts bother you why do you keep coming back to this thread? This guy had a question that you misunderstood so there really isn't any need to be rude....
Old 10-03-2011, 07:53 PM
Registered

Default Closed Systems

Ok, apparently I misunderstood what closed systems do entirely. What is the benefit to having one?
Old 10-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by airshares
Ok, apparently I misunderstood what closed systems do entirely. What is the benefit to having one?
if you have ever seen the inside of a salt water engine that was rarely flushed you would see why,the engines will literally fall apart from the inside out..if it were plumped correctly using the iron manifolds with the antifreeze running through them and using SS risers you would save a ton of money on repairs,the engines would last longer running a constant temperature so on and so forth..the only thing that would need to be flushed would be the heat exchangers and the risers.. also saves time flushing because you would not be running the engine as long to just flush the heat exchanger and risers.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:14 PM
Registered

airshares,

Nothing wrong with your question and it is a good one. It is my understanding that there are two types of closed cooling systems, (1) Half System & (2) Full System. The Half System is designed to cool just the engine block and intake manifold by circulating antifreeze solution thru them and then thru several tubes inside the heat exhanger where the raw water is then pumped thru the housing of the heat exchanger where it contacts the tubes carrying the antifreese soloution, asorbing the heat from the tubes and then goes to the exhaust manifolds to cool them and then exits thru the exhaust. A Full System is just like the Half System but includes circulating the antifreeze soluotion thru the exhaust manifolds with raw water that cools the heat exchanger exiting thru the risers/tails of the exhaust.

(Please note that the Full System is usually only available for "stock" engines. Engines that are modified to high horspower ratings produce much more heat and therefore are not effective for cooling because the heat exhanger can not effectively handle the additional heat from the produced by the exhaust manifolds).

It would still be a good idea to "flush" the exhaust manifolds periodiacally if not after every use if your raw water source is salt water.

On your system you could placie ball valves and a garden hose fitting in the incoming raw water supply line to the heat exchanger to allow you to flush the heat exhanger and there by flushing the exhaust manifolds if you choose to go with a Half System.

Benifits (in my thinking) would allow the use of Aluminum heads without the worry of corrosion from the salt water, more stable engine temps and less corrosion on block internals. By using a "full" closed cooling system, dry joint aluminum exhaust manifolds or dry joint stainless headers would also last longer as the coolant flows from the block thru manifold then thru exhaust manifolds/headers then returning to the heat exchanger with the raw water that cools the heat exchanger exiting thru the risers/tails. With the staggerd engine arrangement there should not be a fitment and congestion issue of the added heat exhanger.

If you would like I will try to post a drawing of how to arrage the ball valves and garden hose fitting tomorrow.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is a diagram of a full system
Attached Thumbnails Closed cooling systems-fwc-full-flow.jpg  
Old 10-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is the half-System diagram.
Attached Thumbnails Closed cooling systems-fwc-half-flow.jpg  
Old 10-04-2011, 07:23 PM
Registered

Default Closed Systems

Thanks CIG,

Thats a big help. I think the full closed system would be best.
My engines are all stock 350 mags. They have 360 hours of mixed use on them.
Would it be pointless now to add the full system or should I go for it?
I just bought the boat and from this day out its all salt water usage for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.