Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Any one used or heard of this Engine Builder? >

Any one used or heard of this Engine Builder?

Notices

Any one used or heard of this Engine Builder?

Old 10-10-2011, 10:39 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good thread! So JEGS is a large name that I seem to remember from the car days. They offer blueprint engines and GM crate motors. But if I do a search for marine, only the blueprint motors come up and mostly over 1hp per cubic inch.

then I see a 454 HO gen 6 gm crate motor, 420 HP, pan to intake for $5,500. Does that work in a boat or do you need something designed for boat use? (Other than the included truck pan).

heck, the 502 HO 450Hp is at $6700 delivered.

What is up with the GM crate motors?

Brian
Old 10-10-2011, 11:25 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you get what you paid for. Most of those engines don't make enough HP to hurt themselves and they will last for a while with conservative use. You need to put a good eshaust on them to actualy get the HP's that they advertise because those engines are rated on an open header on a dyno. Have to check the cam anyway to see if you can get away with the stock exhaust.

They are not high end marine engines like a Merc or a custom build, but bang for the buck, they are OK.

But if you are lookign for turn key catalog style engines, then you can probably help out a fello OSO advertiser and buy one from him, get the reputaion, and only spend a few dollars more.

Like you heard on this thread all ready, some of these things you can't buy the parts for ewhat they are selling them for.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:28 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

THe money saved on this one is the flat tappet cam.

Its a $100 cam vs $500 cam
and its $100 set of lifters vs an $800 set of lifters.

Probably saving $200 per sat of pistons because they are buying in bulk

Same with crank rods and pistons. They probably use a cheaper valve and spring.

At least the rotating assembly is forged though.

Full dress engine for just under 8K. I think yo ucan get one built with good stuff for around 10K.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Blueprint-Engi...44208/10002/-1
Old 10-10-2011, 11:31 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

This one says CAST crank.

Might want to check with JEGS and see if there is a typo in their catalog.

This will make a big price difference as well.

The engines are not the same.

http://www.blueprintengines.com/inde...rine-mbp4960ct
Old 10-11-2011, 07:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have to type in blue print marine motors... they have motors set up for a marine application. But after i researched them I didnt hear anything good. Alot about trouble with backing there product (marshall engines not jegs) jegs just sells them when you have problems you have to send it back to marshall e
ngines.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys - my name is Dru and I am the Product Manager for BluePrint Engines. If you have any questions about our engine configurations please feel free to get a hold of me and I'd be happy to address/answer any questions you have! My number is 1.800.483.4263
Old 10-11-2011, 10:07 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by BluePrintEngines
Hi guys - my name is Dru and I am the Product Manager for BluePrint Engines. If you have any questions about our engine configurations please feel free to get a hold of me and I'd be happy to address/answer any questions you have! My number is 1.800.483.4263
WHy not just post a spec sheet? It's not like there is some kind of mystery about how to configure a marine engine.

At least this way you could throw it out there and let some of the bigger builders on here have a look see and say yeah or nay.

Probably sell a bunch of engines since you are at the price point you are at.

Just a suggestion would be to add a roller cam option, this is BIG in the powerboat world. And to spec out what valves springs etc you are using. If these guys that are looking to upgrade had a better idea of what you are putting inside your castings, it could only help your cause, or you could make it more in line with what these guys are looking for and then take advantage of your purchasing power.

Thanks for jumping in.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:11 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Or become an advertiser here on OSO, and build/ configure a special build just for this site. If you warranty your stuff, you would sell a bunch of them.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
you get what you paid for. Most of those engines don't make enough HP to hurt themselves and they will last for a while with conservative use. You need to put a good eshaust on them to actualy get the HP's that they advertise because those engines are rated on an open header on a dyno. Have to check the cam anyway to see if you can get away with the stock exhaust.

They are not high end marine engines like a Merc or a custom build, but bang for the buck, they are OK.

But if you are lookign for turn key catalog style engines, then you can probably help out a fello OSO advertiser and buy one from him, get the reputaion, and only spend a few dollars more.
is this relating to the GM performance crate motors? If so, I agree they are mild builds at 0.9 HP per cubic Inch. But some of us want a motor that will just run and run and not be on the edge all the time. Will these GM crate motors work or does GM make a marine crate motor? Something similar to the old 330 or 420 mercruiser 454's.

Oh, and which OSO advertiser please? There are several engine builders in the marine links section including some very nice high dollar builders, which is not in my market. Didn't see anything under 500hp and hate wasting peoples time asking questions about something they don't do.

Brian
Old 10-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Change the flywheel, add the oil remote adapter. Maybe change the oil pan.

The only weak spot might be the valves, but keep the timing conservative, and it should run forever just like a merc.

IMO, I have never used one. Internals advertised are forged components.

Your distributor, wiring etc should all transfer over, and this one has fuel pump boss on engine block.

http://www.jegs.com/i/GM-Performance...oductId=752313

Put a 750 carb on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.