Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Thru hull exhaust conversion >

Thru hull exhaust conversion

Notices

Thru hull exhaust conversion

Old 10-05-2011, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahhhh... u know me well grass hopper....its almost like we have spoken on another plane or u have a crystal ball?
Old 10-05-2011, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are prop exhaust only now and you want to go thru-hull.Make sure the risers are high enough vs were you want to cut the holes.You could wind up with a reversion problem.Its a really nice boat my advice is have fun with it and run it.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Don't expect this modification to deliver much in the way of "increased performance". It's only going to make more noise and go the same speed.

I've had a lot of boats, some of them were really loud, some of them were whisper quiet. After the novelty of a loud, slow boat wore off, I decided that I liked quiet boats unless the extra noise was required for extra performance.

I had an outboard that I had to wear earplugs in else my ears would ring that night when I tried to sleep. Open velocity stacks, big carbs, midsection exhaust reliefs, and 8500 rpm. I'm talkin loud.

At the performance level you're at, I would REALLY advise you to do this cheaply and in a manner you can reverse it if you choose to. If you upgrade to a 383 stroker smallblock with a blower, then you'll definitely need to run thru hull exhausts to realize the full performance of that combination, but for now it really isn't necessary.

But if you think running glasspacks on a V6 Camaro is a cool idea, then don't let me stand in your way.

MC
Old 10-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Registered

That is one clean Classic........

matt
Old 10-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

if you have end riser "log" type mercruiser manifolds you will need to switch to center riser type manifolds and risers.

for a small block chevy the kit with two manifolds, two risers and all the hardware will run you about 500 on ebay. add in tips, clamps, wet hose and assorted hardware and you will be at just under a grand.

i did the exact same thing to my 18' 1975 searay but i have a real hot small block ford in it. i had to change everything from the heads out and i had 900 bones or so in it. i bought the 4" stainless tips with flappers and internal mufflers and the manifolds and risers from dennis more. it's only noisy from behind! not much difference in the cockpit when cruising but ski behind it and it sounds like a dragstrip.

do it, do it now! lol.

hope this helps. have a good night, rob.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

Don't expect this modification to deliver much in the way of "increased performance". It's only going to make more noise and go the same speed.
This is true.

if you have end riser "log" type mercruiser manifolds you will need to switch to center riser type manifolds and risers.
x2

Depending on how your transom is setup you can limit how much exhaust noise you hear in the cockpit/cabin by strategically placing the exhaust tips lower in the water.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the transom is anything like the one on my 232 eclipse, your gonna be doing a LOT of plmbing to get it below the platform, or go above like I did.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:22 AM
jwp
Registered
Gold Member

Just remove the bellows and put the money you are going to spend in to replacing that 305 with a 350. its like night and day even if its just a stock motor you put in.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:49 AM
Registered

Thaks for all the input guys. I am seriously looking into a Rex Marine Sound Selector exhaust cutout system. The system is used and is available for a fair price I believe so I am not dumping a ton of cash into a boat, motor, trailer package that I only paid 4G's for. I will post a few pics of my engine bay and transom to get peoples opinions on what to do.

As for my purpose to do the conversion. It is for "the noise" not speed. Boat does a wholloping 52mph at WOT on gps with a 3 blade 14pitch "tug boat" prop as my mechanic calls it. I will be moving towards a 4 blade 17 pitch next season. i am hoping to see a blistering 55mph??? hahaha But if that doesn't happen that is fine too... again my purpose is to obtain that beautiful music exiting the transom.

Last edited by mysweetone; 10-06-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mysweetone
Thaks for all the input guys. I am seriously looking into a Rex Marine Sound Selector exhaust cutout system. The system is used and is available for a fair price I believe so I am not dumping a ton of cash into a boat, motor, trailer package that I only paid 4G's for. I will post a few pics of my engine bay and transom to get peoples opinions on what to do.

As for my purpose to do the conversion. It is for "the noise" not speed. Boat does a wholloping 52mph at WOT on gps with a 3 blade 14pitch "tug boat" prop as my mechanic calls it. I will be moving towards a 4 blade 17 pitch next season. i am hoping to see a blistering 55mph??? hahaha But if that doesn't happen that is fine too... again my purpose is to obtain that beautiful music exiting the transom.
WOW
with at best a 1.5 ratio and zero prop slip that would be spinning the engine just over 6,000 rpm with a 14 pitch prop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.