Notices

Closed Loop Cleaning

Old 10-25-2011, 04:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Closed Loop Cleaning

Hey Guys!

I have a closed loop cooled 454 in my Baja, I have used the boat in fresh water, but, I believe the previous owner may have used it in salt water occasionally. I was wondering how I would go about "flushing/cleaning" the cooling system. It seems to work well, but, where I boat the water is pretty shallow [dirty] near my dock and even "fresh" water has crap floating around in it. I also dont have a sea strainer [no room in that tiny little boat]

I was thinking about doing this before I winterize the boat:

Pulling off the "outlet" hose off the raw water pump and filling it up with "CLR" or something similiar and letting it sit overnite, then hooking the hose back up, starting the boat on the muffs and flushing the "CLR" out with water. I was gonna put the outlet hose as high as I could to try and push the CLR through the system as far as I can, I doubt there would be enough pressure just from gravity to push the CLR into the heat exchanger completely, but, I figured it would get inside the cooler and partially inside the heat exchanger.

Is there something better than CLR? Do you guys think this would help? OR do I risk plugging the whole damn thing up with the crap that the CLR unattaches?

I have had a few people recommend using the muffs with "city water", but, the boat is at my cottage, which is on an Island, and we pull water out of a well, its filtered and drinkable, but, still not as "clean" as city water.

ANY input appreciated, thanks guys!

Michael
Old 10-25-2011, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The CLR will remove any calcium but I doubt you haver any of that to worry about. The best way I know of cleaning the system is removing the out side of the hoses and back flushing each component/cooler like you would for a blown impeller.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mr3dman
The CLR will remove any calcium but I doubt you haver any of that to worry about. The best way I know of cleaning the system is removing the out side of the hoses and back flushing each component/cooler like you would for a blown impeller.
Great! How would I go about doing that? I actually DID smoke an impeller two years ago when the muffs fell off with the boat running, I cleaned out the impeller housing, but, didn't backflush the system, can you tell me how to do it? Thanks!

Michael
Old 10-25-2011, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at the front of the engine, the hose on the right side of the heat exchanger is the "cold water" in side. Disconnect the hoses to the heat exchanger and flush from the left side to the right. Follow the right side hose (as you are looking at the motor) to the next cooler and disconnect the far side/ "cold in" hose and flush. I'm not sure about your motor, but you should have at least an oil cooler, p/s cooler and maybe a fuel cooler. The only one that could trap debris is usually the oil cooler. If you suspect the oil cooler being blocked a bit get an inspection mirror to the far side of it or remove it to check for rubber in the water passages. Hope this helps a bit
Old 10-26-2011, 12:53 AM
Registered

yes, actually, thats a big help! Thanks for the input!

Michael