Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
opions on 2 different ways to winterinze the engine cooling system. >

opions on 2 different ways to winterinze the engine cooling system.

Notices

opions on 2 different ways to winterinze the engine cooling system.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by racinfever
Never use the pink antifreeze that is designed for water systems....always use the blue that has anti-corrosion additives.
Just my 2 cents!
The pink stuff has the rust inhibitors additives.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by racinfever
Not trying to be a smart azz but being in the marine business I see a lot of engines boogered up either due to freeze damage or stripped out thermostat housings with silicone hanging out the sides. We sell thermostats with gaskets every year to people who use this method. There is no benefit in pulling out the thermostat. If you understand the water system, what you do need to do is DRAIN THE BLOCK AND MANIFOLDS. After this, you pump your antifreeze in.
Never use the pink antifreeze that is designed for water systems....always use the blue that has anti-corrosion additives.
Just my 2 cents!
I don't have thermostats so it isn't really an issue. On our outboards part of our yearly maintenance was to pull the stats at the start of the year, inspect them closely, and then throw them as far off the end of the pier as you could.

I am not sure a person should be doing their own winterization if they can't R&R a thermostat housing without f-ing everything up.

Bottom line is my way is simple and effective.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys go through a lot of work! I have had my boat in the Midwest where it does freeze for the last 9 years and all I do is run the green coolant directly through the ear muffs until it comes out of the exhaust and then turn it off. The only hard part that I do is to take a sample out of the block and check that it is good. I have never had a problem.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:04 PM
Registered

I have been doing the jug thing myself for a few years. I have never drained the blocks except for the one year I had a water pump problem, and could not get AF into the motor.

I am going to switch to a setup that will allow me to run the motor on AF all the way from cold to warm. Basically the motor will circulate the AF for 30 mins or so. This is the way a marina I used to work at did it, so I am going to start doing that next year.

I have come up with a design that will only cost about $100 for the pump, hose, muffs, hoses to return the AF from the tips and the tub.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nightlife1970
I have been doing the jug thing myself for a few years. I have never drained the blocks except for the one year I had a water pump problem, and could not get AF into the motor.

I am going to switch to a setup that will allow me to run the motor on AF all the way from cold to warm. Basically the motor will circulate the AF for 30 mins or so. This is the way a marina I used to work at did it, so I am going to start doing that next year.

I have come up with a design that will only cost about $100 for the pump, hose, muffs, hoses to return the AF from the tips and the tub.
Just a question. If you recirculate the same fluid for 30 min, aren't you concerned about overheating? I assume you still flush with water first, so that all the salt and dirt ect. don't recirculate in the system with the AF.

The AF I like to use is this. AMSOIL Antifreeze & Coolant
It has the corrosion inhibitor in it, and is a super long life formula (whatever that is, it sounds good). I also use it in the closed cooling system during the season.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor
Just a question. If you recirculate the same fluid for 30 min, aren't you concerned about overheating? I assume you still flush with water first, so that all the salt and dirt ect. don't recirculate in the system with the AF.

The AF I like to use is this. AMSOIL Antifreeze & Coolant
It has the corrosion inhibitor in it, and is a super long life formula (whatever that is, it sounds good). I also use it in the closed cooling system during the season.
I was just using 30 min as a number. Basically it will circulate untill the temps come up to open the thermostat. THen I will know that the AF is all the way through the motor. I run in fresh water only so salt is not a concern.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:30 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Question, how many gallons on average do you run through your engines? I think we ran about 4-4.5 through each engine this season.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:48 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by SS930
Question, how many gallons on average do you run through your engines? I think we ran about 4-4.5 through each engine this season.
Minimum 5. Usually 6+.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Minimum 5. Usually 6+.
Same here.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:53 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends if you drained the block and hoses. If so, any more after the AF starts coming out is just wasted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.