Considering switching from TRS to Bravo 1 >

Considering switching from TRS to Bravo 1

Notices

Considering switching from TRS to Bravo 1

Old 11-22-2011, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering switching from TRS to Bravo 1

Ok, I am redoing the transom of my Chris Craft 415 Stinger.

The TRS drives are in decent shape but they are hard to get parts for and I don't want to sink any more $$$ into obsolete stuff.

So I was thinking about starting over with Bravos since I'm redoing the transom anyway.

What all would be involved with re-rigging to Bravos?

Thanks,

Greg
Old 11-22-2011, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basically everythihg. You need to move the motors back, since you don't have the trannys. That usually means that everything needs a new place. What is your budget for the drives, and what kind of power are you running? Full hydraulic steering instalation ect? Arneson #6 or #7M's could be an option. Not the cheapest, but very strong and should net you 10+ mph on top, maybe more when converting from TRS. Just an idea.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:20 PM
Registered

What about konrads?
Old 11-22-2011, 05:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by olmako20
What about konrads?
You could do that, but i see no reason to do so, what so ever. Price with everything would be roughly the same. With the Konrads you won't gain any speed, most likely lose speed, and adding power to gain the same 10 mph you'll get with the ASD's are not cheap, and will hurt drive and engine reliabillity further + the added service and fuel cost. You will then also need to run Bravo style props. I hardly doubt the Konrads would be as strong as the ASD's as well. The ASD's are very hard to beat in price vs. duralbillity and price vs. speed, no competition at all. When all is added up, drive, steering, prop ect. the Konrads are not much less expensive, and that does not include any engine mods to gain speed, if running Konrads. The only drives that really rivals the ASD's are the #6, Indy, BPM, and M8.

Last edited by A.O. Razor; 11-22-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 1,204 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by point92mach
Ok, I am redoing the transom of my Chris Craft 415 Stinger.

The TRS drives are in decent shape but they are hard to get parts for and I don't want to sink any more $$$ into obsolete stuff.

So I was thinking about starting over with Bravos since I'm redoing the transom anyway.

What all would be involved with re-rigging to Bravos?

Thanks,

Greg
What are your final goals and objectives? What is current power? Do you plan on upgrading power eventually? If you want more speed........like all of us do then I would advise looking for a faster hull before trying to make the Stinger faster.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:13 AM
Registered

I'm not looking to go super fast in this big old boat.

The boat has 420 hp 454s now and I am planning on about 700 hp next season, as well as external steering.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by point92mach
I'm not looking to go super fast in this big old boat.

The boat has 420 hp 454s now and I am planning on about 700 hp next season, as well as external steering.
If you are planning on 700HP, spending money to convert to bravos would be a waste. Like stated above, there are much better options for not a whole lot more money. 700HP in front of bravos it that boat will be a time bomb.

If it were me I would just stick with the TRS.... I've never had trouble finding parts, and if the trannies are beefed up a little they will hold the power well if not abused.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
If you are planning on 700HP, spending money to convert to bravos would be a waste. Like stated above, there are much better options for not a whole lot more money. 700HP in front of bravos it that boat will be a time bomb.
Yup. That'll be expensive in gears, especially with a heavy boat. Way too much down time fixing drives during a season too. The Bravo's ain't gonna cut it, including the XR stuff.

Last edited by A.O. Razor; 11-23-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:04 PM
Registered

Sweet, this is the kind of info that is really helpful. As cool as Arnesons are I just dont think I should spend that much $$$ on an old boat that isn't worth that much in the first place.

So the TRS drive will have a pretty good chance of surviving 700 HP if treated right?

Upgrading the transmissions is no problem as I'm an automatic trans builder on the side.

Greg
Old 11-23-2011, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 1,204 Likes on 577 Posts

700HP would be to much in that heavy boat. I had a friend with an '86 Top Gun with TRS and 700+HP and they did not like it. But he was anything but easy on them. I think he replaced 2-3 drives in 4 years.

I would just enjoy it how it is. You are going to need a lot of $$$power$$$ to get that sled moving.
My $0.02

Do you have Merc trans or BW Velvets?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.