Notices

540 carb???

Old 01-01-2012, 02:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock 1050 I have no clue.. Patrick at pro systems offers a dominator that is available in cfm's from 920-1800! Can't find any stock 1050 specs online. So u wanna share what kinda project u are putting together now?

Travis
Old 01-02-2012, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by goebel1
I made 738HP on my 540 with 315 cnc heads 9.1 compression Edlelbrock victor jr. intake custom cam with a Berry Grant 1000cfm 4150 style carb. I change to a ProSystem dominator 1050cfm carb and a edlebrock 454 victor intake and pick up 3MPH. Dont have any dyno numbers thou.
goebel1 when you changed to the dom 1050 besides the 3 mph ( very nice) can you tell me a little more, did the dom hurt low end,how is mid range (crushing) are you using a lot Moore fuel ?? I have a548 with a 950 hp carb neads rebuild, dart singel plane intak,dart 345 iron eagel heads,solid roller cam, cmi dry exh. bob madara built the cam (don't have specks) pro systems is going to build me a carb but cant decide on the 1000hp or the dom , my concern is fuel and performance fore the$$$ thanks
Old 01-02-2012, 03:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by himrod67
goebel1 when you changed to the dom 1050 besides the 3 mph ( very nice) can you tell me a little more, did the dom hurt low end,how is mid range (crushing) are you using a lot Moore fuel ?? I have a548 with a 950 hp carb neads rebuild, dart singel plane intak,dart 345 iron eagel heads,solid roller cam, cmi dry exh. bob madara built the cam (don't have specks) pro systems is going to build me a carb but cant decide on the 1000hp or the dom , my concern is fuel and performance fore the$$$ thanks
Once I got my fuel curve set up it was very easy on the fuel till wot and no black transom. The Dominator was not lazy at all for me it responded very well. The Carb from pro-system was close but It needed dial in a bit more. It is a lot easier to setup the cab in the boat if you have a wide-band A/F. The carb always seem to be rich from the dyno to the boat in my experience. If you have doubt on the carb size talk to Bob Mandara he is pretty good at what he does and can get you a decent price. Oh yea... my dom had external progressive linkage it was not 1to1 where both barrels open at once.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmadness
So u wanna share what kinda project u are putting together now?

Travis
Nothin' top secret, but I have dropped a few hints here and there in the Tech section when I was asking about Whipples & Roots type blowers....557cid, AFR heads...supercharged app.

SWAN2, when I had my NA 540cid engines with Dart Pro-1 heads and hyd roller cams, I used a Holley 830cfm carb w/4-corner idling and Annular Discharge. Tom Earhart said he has never seen a carb "follow" as well on the dyno as he did on my 540's that day back in 2002. He said was about as perfect as I could get for what I was doing----And he's an extremely smart dude and has dyno'd a lot of engines in his day---and he still is today.

Last edited by KAAMA; 02-10-2012 at 04:41 PM.