Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
What ethanol treatment are you guys using? >

What ethanol treatment are you guys using?

Notices

What ethanol treatment are you guys using?

Old 01-03-2012, 05:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boy this is a touchy subject but the bottom line is treat it with stabilizers in fall with fresh fuel filters. With most of our rigs you can burn off a tank of fuel quite quickly, then toss on a fresh set of fuel filters after your first fuel fill up. I always take the time to remove the filters, pour what is in them into a glass container and take a hard look at what is in the bottom of the glass. If you have any water in there at all is shows up immediately. I think the ethenol is blamed for a lot of issues, I had problems with my weed wacker, the inlet strainer almost dissolved in the fuel. People that sold me the tool said we are telling everyone to shut your fuel valve off and run the system out of fuel. Or dump the fuel out of the tank and then run the carb until it is out of fuel. WHAT A ROYAL PAIN IN THE ASS!!!!! Great thread by the way.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:21 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bob Teague - Calling you out!

BOB TEAGUE - Calling you out!

OK the rumors on OSO have you saying both - keep tanks topped off with Stabilizer, or to keep tanks as empty as possible! Does that mean drain the tanks as much as possible through the fuel line or remove the sender and siphon every last bit out? So what is the verdict? Also does it make a difference if the boat is stored in an enclosed shed as far as the "breathing" of the empty fuel tank? Now that we no longer have Powerboat's "Teague on Tech" feature can you help us out here?

Thanks, Andy
Old 01-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI, This direct quote is from the Editor, Automotive News, January 9, 2012, Page 12. "Ethanol isn't the answer; picking winners never is". Ethanol, once touted as a viable way to reduce America's dependance on imported oil, is rapidly fading from view as an automotive fuel. It's about time.

On Jan. 1, a 30 year old federal tax subsidy for corn based ethanol went away when Congress didn't renew it. The subsidy gave oil refiners 45 cents a gallon for ethanal blended gasoline.

Meanwhile, the present proposed mandate holds a CAFE of 54.5 mpg or equivalent by 2025 model year.

Perhaps, instead of "Start your engines" it will be "Charge your batteries".

Last edited by CcanDo; 01-16-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:32 PM
bwd
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven;t seen any additive that saves the octane from going away in a month or two. Startron works great for fluid separation but to me the octane loss is key. I think if you have fussy race or blown motors, pump it into your car for the winter as I do, leaving the tank empty. Stock motors, treat it and leave almost full. Good filter/wter seps are important these days no matter what you prefer to do. My small power equipment at home and work fall victim to my laziness which means, I'm always taking the bowls off and keep lots of carb cleaner around. Just my .02
Old 01-16-2012, 10:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 282 Likes on 136 Posts

How hard is it to just fill it with 100ll for the winter and never worry about it??? We run it in everything we have the doesn't have a cat or 02 sensor. Boats, jet skis, airplanes, snow blowers, atv's, etc.... And we have never had a fuel related issue. Well we did try running it in a new 7 series bmw and burned the cat out under warranty. The guys at the dealership were stumped and said they had never seen that before on a brand new car haha

Last edited by 302Sport; 01-16-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:34 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 302Sport
How hard is it to just fill it with 100ll for the winter and never worry about it??? We run it in everything we have the doesn't have a cat or 02 sensor. Boats, jet skis, airplanes, snow blowers, atv's, etc.... And we have never had a fuel related issue. Well we did try running it in a new 7 series bmw and burned the cat out under warranty. The guys at the dealership were stumped and said they had never seen that before on a brand new car haha

I dont see a problem with this with the exception of just dont get caught. The Feds and the EPA will own you.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

It's not illegal to run it in your boat contrary to popular belief. Yes, it isn't legal for road use but that's the extent of it. If people at the airport have told you they can't fill your boat, they are bsing you.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:21 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 302Sport
It's not illegal to run it in your boat contrary to popular belief. Yes, it isn't legal for road use but that's the extent of it. If people at the airport have told you they can't fill your boat, they are bsing you.
The illegal part is the lack of the road tax for us to run it in a car or boat. It is illegal for the airport to sell it to you knowing that it is not going in an airplane. If they sell avgas in a container, the seller can be fined for it. Most airports will not sell it unless you have an airplane at that airport to put it in.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:26 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

In Connecticut they re emberse you at the end of the year for your road tax if you show your receipts from the on water gas stations. Maybe that's why its diferent
Old 01-17-2012, 10:41 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Taxes

Texas will also give road tax back:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...uel-taxes.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.