Notices

Engine building books

Old 12-28-2011, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine building books

Are there any solid books out there that you guys would recommend for learning how to build and repair motors?

Im not talking about a mercruiser handbook, but a book that explains everything in detail. So much of the jargon that goes into the engines is still beyond me. I would like to learn more about it though. I have the basic understanding of how hp is made, but want to learn more about why certain selections are made when putting together a motor..
Old 12-28-2011, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found these useful, Big block Chevy marine performance by Dennis moore(out of production but you can find), How to Rebuild Big-Block Chevy Engines by Mike Mavrigian, and there are the mercruiser books that you don't want to hear about but have the specs you need for a given application. While the books will give you lots of info, no one book will tell you how to make power if that is what you seek. Read lots, search these forums and you will have a good working knowledge on engines but there is nothing you can read that will replace actual experience. There is always the human variable in building and unless you have huge$$ to buy the equipment, you will always have to trust someone to do their part (ie: machine shop) in the equation. I'm a huge fan of BBC power and build for fun but still learning everyday. Hope this helps

Last edited by mr3dman; 12-28-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:53 PM
Registered

Any idea why the heck they are so expensive?!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

I'm just wanting to get a better knowledge of the basics. I'm not building my own motors, but would like to understand what I'm looking at when I'm looking!
Old 12-28-2011, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

Go grab a book, or better a buddy that knows engines, and a junkyard small block and tear the motor down. No substitute for hands on experience.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:17 PM
Registered

type in "big block chevy book" at ebay. you can get basic books for around 20-25 shipped
Old 12-28-2011, 04:24 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dang, and I sold my near mint Dennis Moore book last yr for something like $25.
I didn't find it worth that much, let alone $325.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:27 PM
Registered

I have an LS1 that I had bought years ago for a sandcar project that I paid like $400 for. That idea fell apart so I've been toying with the idea of tearing this one down and doing a rebuild on it just to gain the experience. The Skater has outboards that don't need anything, so I don't want to tear them down and lose a summer.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

holy crap, how on earth is that thing so expensive? for 300+ dollars i better gain 100hp just cracking it open LOL
Old 12-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I built my new 454 by doing hours of research and asking questions on this website and using this book

http://store.boxwrench.net/How-to-Re...Book_p_77.html

That book has the basics but I used this website for learning all the marine differences. My new engine runs great and I saved a lot of money doing it myself. But before I joined the military 10 years ago I was a Auto-body tech and spent a few years in local college tech program after high school. So I already had most the tools needed and I have friends that are still mechanics so I would call them if I was unsure about something I was doing.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sunrocket24
I built my new 454 by doing hours of research and asking questions on this website and using this book

http://store.boxwrench.net/How-to-Re...Book_p_77.html

That book has the basics but I used this website for learning all the marine differences. My new engine runs great and I saved a lot of money doing it myself. But before I joined the military 10 years ago I was a Auto-body tech and spent a few years in local college tech program after high school. So I already had most the tools needed and I have friends that are still mechanics so I would call them if I was unsure about something I was doing.
I have a copy of that same book, available on ebay btw, it is decent but doesn't get into clearances. Just a good look see on the basics of teardown, cleaning, some parts, and assembley guidelines. Worth the read for sure

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.