Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/do-yourself-boating-budget-249/)
-   -   Tune Up and Timing (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/do-yourself-boating-budget/267978-tune-up-timing.html)

Mariah212Z 12-30-2011 11:43 PM

Tune Up and Timing

Went out on the water today after doing tune up including Cap Mallory, Rotor Mallory, wires 8mm Mallory, plugs AC Delco. When I started the engine at the ramp, had a tough time to idle which had nothing to do with idle speed screw adjustment. No misfire under load but had big loss in power at WOT.

Checked all wires from cap to plugs and was correct. Had a feeling the timing was retarded a little. Did not have my timing light but just advanced the Distributor a little until the idle speed was at a normal speed. Usually time to 30 BTDC but will have to dial in timing next time. Anyway the power was restored with the advance and ran smooth from idle to WOT.

I timed the motor two months ago and ran great at WOT but was a little rough at low RPM which is why I did the tune up.

My question is how did the timing become retarded just by changing the plugs, wires, cap and rotor? I guess the full tune up requires a recheck with the timing light.

Now the motor runs the best it ever has just need to fine tune the timing back to 30.

I was just surprised that those few changes required an advance of the timing?

Any ideas as to why the timing needed readjustment?

Thanks

mike tkach 12-31-2011 12:06 AM

you might of not put no 1 wire in the same place on the cap,if you moved it 1 socket over,timing would be way off,what are you running your total timing at,if it is 30,its a little low imo.

Griff 12-31-2011 01:44 AM

Because the distributor probably moved a little when you did the tune up.

Mariah212Z 12-31-2011 07:36 AM

30 degree timing

Originally Posted by mike tkach (Post 3582586)
you might of not put no 1 wire in the same place on the cap,if you moved it 1 socket over,timing would be way off,what are you running your total timing at,if it is 30,its a little low imo.

Mike,

I am running Vortec cast iron heads and was advised to stay safe with 30 total timing at 3000rpm.

Thanks

Mariah212Z 12-31-2011 07:40 AM

Moved Distributor

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 3582609)
Because the distributor probably moved a little when you did the tune up.

Griff,

Before I started the tune up I made sure the distrib hold down was tight. Just to note when i changed the plugs, number 8 plug was a little rich with wet fuel and number 5 had more carbon build up then the rest. Possible bad plug or wire?

Thanks

GTOFFSHORE 12-31-2011 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mariah212Z (Post 3582662)
Mike,

I am running Vortec cast iron heads and was advised to stay safe with 30 total timing at 3000rpm.

Thanks

I think he is right even wit cast iron heads you can run as much as 34. What kind of gas do you run? Even 32 would be better and I can't imagine any problems

MILD THUNDER 12-31-2011 08:16 AM

Timing wont change unless you moved the distributor. Or like Mike said, you are off on the firing order on the cap. Like if you removed all the plug wires, and started #1 where #8 was, and continued that order. That would do it. Adjusting the distributor with the timing light hooked up will solve that issue.

I'd double check the timing spec at full advance. 30* seems low even with the vortec heads. I would think at least 32*.

mike tkach 12-31-2011 10:37 AM

with the timing set at 30,the egt,s will be hot,i would run no less than 32,i think 33 is where i would go,at 30,its tough on the exhaust valves&seats.

Griff 12-31-2011 11:40 AM

SBC vortec heads do not like much timing. 30* is about max for them.

ThisIsLivin 01-05-2012 08:32 AM

Vortec heads are small chamber and have a fast burn and only require 28-30 degrees depending on compresion. BBC with there large chamber burn slower and require more timing.