Notices

Am I screwed or what...?

Old 01-22-2012, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I screwed or what...?

Doing the first "servicing" since the rebuild, 454Mag with a Procharger, TOTAL rebuild with all the right parts, a few "issues" getting it set-up at the beginning but sorted it all out.

One of the issues was cold oil and water temps so restricted water flow and brought oil temps up. First few outtings oil had condensation, changed oil and restricted water flow a little more, seemed to get it under control. Ran the boat all last summer and into the winter, tucked it away for the last couple of months in a heated garage and started to have a look at it in detail.

Plugs, left-hand bank (2,4,6,8) all looked good, even tan burn, right hand bank (1,3,5,7) all look good except 5 which looks like $hit.......pulled the valve cover and checked the top end, condensation in there but nothing obvious, a little "rust" around the "push rod guides (not sure what the proper name is)

Motor ran well all summer with no issues, is this a sign of a ring problem or...????

Pics of the plugs are here..

http://www.donzi.org/forum/showthrea...crewed-or-what...
Old 01-22-2012, 07:46 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Can't see pics without logging in.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

The pics show the plugs looking good except #5 which looks like this:
Old 01-22-2012, 08:02 PM
Registered

Thanks Carl, I appreciate that, computers are not my forte.......
Old 01-22-2012, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by FogduckerIII
Thanks Carl, I appreciate that, computers are not my forte.......
Your welcome but I'll leave the diagnosis to the engine experts.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Your welcome but I'll leave the diagnosis to the engine experts.
Ya, this is a strange one, motor ran great all season, laid the boat up for a few weeks, went for a run beginning of Dec... tucked it away again until now and #5 looks like this? Not sure where to look to see what the next step is.........
Old 01-22-2012, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

did you see any water in the cylinder,it looks like some water is somehow getting in that cylinder.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
did you see any water in the cylinder,it looks like some water is somehow getting in that cylinder.
I can see what you mean, although no signs of water in the cylinder, the material on the plug looks like small "blisters" of something other than metal???

Perhaps I am just hoping here but it doesn't make sense with all the other holes looking good, this one bad, and no syptoms of an issue to cause the problem.....
Old 01-22-2012, 09:04 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I'd do a leakdown test first and see if anything's getting past the exhaust valve. If it's not sealing 100% it'll draw water back in at idle. Also check your riser gaskets and make sure it's not leakin down into that hole. If you're lucky it's just bad condensation from that exhaust valve being open while it was stored and not having enough fogging oil in there. If you're in the city, I'll lend you a bore scope so you can have a look inside.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
I'd do a leakdown test first and see if anything's getting past the exhaust valve. If it's not sealing 100% it'll draw water back in at idle. Also check your riser gaskets and make sure it's not leakin down into that hole. If you're lucky it's just bad condensation from that exhaust valve being open while it was stored and not having enough fogging oil in there. If you're in the city, I'll lend you a bore scope so you can have a look inside.
Thanks Alex, good info, under a magnifying glass the spots on the plugs do not look metalic, kind of like "boiled rust" ..?

I don't have the equipment nor knowledge to do a leakdown but I know the riser gasket (EMI no water ports) are sound and the exhaust manifold gaskets were in good shape.............I am wondering, these are original plugs since the rebuild, perhaps when I was having problems with oil/water temps there was a build up of condinsation/rust and it has "cooked itself" on the plug.......again I am wishing here and hoping to not have to "rebuild"......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.