Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Cuddy Cabin heater recommendations >

Cuddy Cabin heater recommendations

Notices

Cuddy Cabin heater recommendations

Old 02-17-2012, 02:03 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I dont know about keeping the wife happy...but this will definitly keep the cuddy warm......

Old 02-17-2012, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

like prev mentioned, unless hooked up to shore power, any heater that actually heats will suck batts dry in no time. if hooked up to shore, might as well use 110v heater. i used a hair dryer one winter.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:08 PM
Registered
Gold Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camping gear

Check a good camping gear store. There's a number of heaters made for use in a tent that just may work well in your boat and be safe in the enclosed space.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by macjazzy
If you had a fresh water cooled engine in your boat ie antifreeze, it would not be too big of a deal to run a few hoses up to the cabin and build a box around a car heater core, 12 volt fan blowing through it and it should heat up your cabin very nicely, at least while the engines are running, and for a little bit after.
This is the way to go....I know Mirage installed them in almost every boat they sold and since they only work with the engine running (just like a car) they wont drain your battery and they put off ALOT of heat!! Anytime I have my daughter on board or any other females they want the heater running all the time--its a NW thing!! Lol!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boat-Marine-...item3a6d8211eb

Now the question is--are you ok with cutting a hole in your boat? These are typically mounted under the rear bench seat but could be mounted in a cabin as well (of course you have to plumb the hot water lines from the motor alot farther if you install in the cabin). The nice thing here is that all your wife has to do is sit on the rear bench with a blanket on her legs and the heater will fill the blanket with warm air! She will never complain again about being cold! Trust me its worth the $250!
Old 02-20-2012, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The 12 volt heaters and coffee makers DON'T work. I have a big inverter and have a 120 volt cube heater, microwave and coffee maker. They all work great. OH and my wife brings her hair drier. Keeps her happy when she can do her hair instead of looking like a wind blown boater.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a 110v heater at Target a few years ago. It is small and works very well. Heats up the cabin in our 35' boat very well. I turn it off before we go to bed just to be safe. There is a lot of insulation in a boat hull. Of course the nights we are on the boat don't get colder than 45-50 degrees.

Sorry, just realized you are looking for a 12v.