Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/do-yourself-boating-budget-249/)
-   -   Cuddy Cabin heater recommendations (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/do-yourself-boating-budget/269430-cuddy-cabin-heater-recommendations.html)

MCKILLOP 01-25-2012 05:43 PM

Cuddy Cabin heater recommendations

I am sure this is not an issue for most of you, but someone must have a good recommendation for a 12 volt cuddy cabin or cockpit heater? Looking for something to use in the early spring or late summer nights to keep the cuddy warm and thus the wifey happy. Any ideas?

GTOFFSHORE 01-25-2012 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by MCKILLOP (Post 3601594)
I am sure this is not an issue for most of you, but someone must have a good recommendation for a 12 volt cuddy cabin or cockpit heater? Looking for something to use in the early spring or late summer nights to keep the cuddy warm and thus the wifey happy. Any ideas?

Google boat heater 12v there are some pretty neat ones but be careful.

MCKILLOP 01-26-2012 10:42 AM

I have been doing that, but its hard to know which ones would work well, and what ones wouldn't. I was hoping someone already had one that they know works well, and would then be able to recommend.

Secret Formula 01-26-2012 11:21 AM

Heaters like that scare me. Maybe try a 12V electric blanket or heated clothing like we wear on our motorcycles.

looseconnection 01-26-2012 11:54 AM

Say a 12v plug in is rated at 10 amps, thats only 120watts or 400 btu's...not that much heat plus a really fast way to discharge battery power unless connected to shore power.

bigbang 01-26-2012 12:39 PM

You'd have to pull a lot of amps to make good heat at 12v, and don't tell you insurance carrier.

I'd suggest "lighting the fire" with wifey in the cuddy, problem solved.

wjb21ndtown 01-26-2012 03:20 PM

They make heated insert pads (like heated car seats) for around $150 a sheet. Two of those should keep you pretty warm. Definitely enough to take the chill off. I was thinking about installing two on the sun pad in the back. The gf likes to lay back there under the stars and whatnot... I prefer the whatnot :coolcowboy:...

Should definitely help in the cabin though, especially with some decent insulated blankets.

Steve H 01-26-2012 04:02 PM

I have a Red Dot unit in my boat. It will make a fair amount of heat for over an hour after the engine is shut down. Those cast iron blocks hold a lot of heat.

mr3dman 01-26-2012 11:05 PM

another idea is an alcohol heater. No open flame and if a problem arises you can use water to put it out. Around chi town I have an inverter and use a ceramic 1500 watt fan type deal when needed and run my ac fan to circulate the "heat". I have to upgrade my ac to reverse heat.....

ChargeIt 01-27-2012 08:22 AM

As others mention, a 12v heater will not produce enough heat to significnatly heat a cuddy and battery drain will be an issue.

Are you trying to heat just the cuddy or entire enclosure?
Under way or at the dock?

At the dock, some type of ceramic or coil heater would be your best bet. There is still a slight explosion risk if gas fumes would be present due to the electric spark when switched or the t-stat kicks on.
I have done it but............

Also used a Mr Buddy propane heater couple times to knock the chill off while playing cards BUT explosion, hot element contact and carbon monoxide are big risks that I would not use unless VERY careful and awake with the door cracked a couple inches.

Underway; will not be as cheap, $1000 ish but hey if it extends your season, $1000 one time might be worth it.
Heater Craft units pull from the hot engine block, much like a car radiator. They are an option on many wakeboard boats and do put out plenty of heat to warm an entire enclosure.
http://www.heatercraft.com/category.aspx?categoryID=4