Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Only for those that really boat on a budget, how do you handle big ticket expenses? >

Only for those that really boat on a budget, how do you handle big ticket expenses?

Notices

Only for those that really boat on a budget, how do you handle big ticket expenses?

Old 01-30-2012, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Ramen Noodles

Honestly people ask me all the time how I can "afford" this hobby. It's quite simple, work hard, and prioritize. I probably spend less on boating than some people spend on trendy clothes, titty bar tabs, and payments on a Honda Civic.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:10 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

... and when it breaks, I fix it myself. Mostly because I'm anal about my equipment, but also because its much much less expensive that way.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
Ramen Noodles

Honestly people ask me all the time how I can "afford" this hobby. It's quite simple, work hard, and prioritize. I probably spend less on boating than some people spend on trendy clothes, titty bar tabs, and payments on a Honda Civic.
You're right. I know people that frequently blow 200+ dollars on a lousy dinner for 2 and other extravagances. It's all about priorities, everyone spends their money the way they want. Right now, I'll spend it on the boat.

As far as repairs, etc., I just try to save some money in the off season so at least I'll have some money available when I get dinged. Also I tend to run the boat conservatively and carefully to try to avoid a problem. (Doesn't always work out that way, though.)
Old 01-31-2012, 06:11 AM
Registered

Received 1,832 Likes on 717 Posts

That's why I learned to do everything myself.

Couple of important things I learned along the way too.

#1. Importance of preventive maintenance. Even if new and under warranty you still need to do your P.M. especially if you run it hard.
I learned this after buying two new in the box O/B's for my last Sonic. Being new and under warranty I beat them like red headed step children. Maintenance included beer and gas.
Guess what? They didn't start breaking until just out of warranty!
Now, I PM,PM,Pm! This will also help you catch 90% of your issues while they're minor and before turning catastrophic/$$$.

#2. Nothing breaks until the week before 4th of July, Memorial Day, Labor Day etc, etc. You end up paying next day air, Saturday delivery to get your new widgets. 1/2 the time also due to scheduling you end up guessing on diagnosis and are wrong. So now your $50. part that you paid $100. shipping on you don't even need.

I have spare everything. I just finished a restoration on this boat and started having problems w/the L.H. lower units. I now have two complete L.H. lower units just in case.
One side of my garage looks like a parts department for a fair size clip on dealer.
I search craigslist and e-bay for everything on that list. I bought a complete, perfect condition L.H. unit for $225. First one I blew, I paid $500. for gears because I didn't have a spare. Plus it takes 1/2 a day to rebuild one and 15 mins to screw one on.

If I were running I/O's I'd have at least on e-bay drive and complete dressed motor under plastic, in the corner.

Agree w/RT930 too. If you do it yourself,and stick to a budget you can do things most people think impossible for the money. I also run w/a lot of the 18' - 20' 100 MPH O/B crowd and a lot of them tow w/new bling mobiles, stay in fancy hotels, restaurants etc.
I tow w/a 11 yr old truck, stay on the boat when possible and cook on the boat. I also unload two folding bicycles when I get to port by boat and explore for free instead of paying for a cab.

Great thread by the way. Always kinda wondered on this site how many guys really do own the 5 yr old or newer, 35' and up rocket ships we see in the magazines as compared to the guy w/the semi restored 30yr old 25' - 30' something that's built w/sweat equity and towed behind a $3500. truck?

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 01-31-2012 at 06:13 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:36 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont waste my money at the bar like everyone i know. really its just about priorities
Old 01-31-2012, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I pretty much do the same as several of the guys that posted. I dont go to bars or fancy dinners all the time like i used to. Ive even downsized the vehicles I drive. Not so much because of the boat, but just priorities.

For example, I used to have a Diesel superduty. Real nice truck, at the time my monthly payment on it 650 per month (King Ranch). I really only needed the truck for the boat. Anyhow, after the truck got a couple years old (still paying on it), I decided to sell it before the expensive diesel repairs started. I now needed something to tow the boat. So I came across a 1989 Chevy Dually crew cab. Truck is rust free, west coast truck. Paid 3g for the truck. Put brakes on it as soon as i got it, and its towed the boat trouble free for the past two summers. For everyday use, I bought a used 2005 Crown Vic police intercepter for 1800 bucks. I beat the crap out of it, and the car gets decent gas mileage for what it is. Ive also owned it for about two years now. I put tires on it, a headlight bulb in two years. I also have a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, that the queen drives, but thats paid off too now.

So what I am saying here, is that all my vehicles are paid for, including the boat. Otherwise, In this economy, theres just no way I personally would be able to do offshore boating with a couple car payments, boat payment, maintainance, upgrades, fuel, etc. Several years back, yes, but now, no way.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For one keep the boat maintaed, if you do everything your supposed to you cut down on the chance of break downs. Second off I prioritize, friends of ours are always saying we are rich and we arent. But we dont go out every week and drop a load on clothes and frivelous stuff. I dont stop at the gas station everyday and get a pop or coffee, I dont eat out at lunch for work every day. Things like that add up.

I have also been the person to know that a certain part is going on the boat, and if I find one dirt cheap I buy the part and replace it.

One thing I reccomend that all of you do and hear me out. Honestly for a month save a receipt for everything you do. Bring in all bills, loan statements and everything. At the end of the month categorize it and add things up. You would be amazed. Wife and I did this and we are on track to save 2-3 grand this year. And this wasnt changing our lifestyle any, this was just cutting fat off the budget. Simple things like not buying lunch out everyday for 10 bucks can save you 2600 in a year,

Also look at things like refinancing your car, even downsizing a vehicle. Cut the lawn mowing service, etc.

When I do buy things I do a lot of product research, name brand is not always better, and cheaper can sometimes suck but cheaper doesnt always mean cheaper quality

But just take a hard look, do you have an extra car that you barely use but still register it an insure it. Do you have a bunch of magazine subscriptions or belong to a bunch of clubs that you get no value out of.

Last edited by soldier4402; 01-31-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the same "fix it myself" crowd. As far as big ticket items go, I keep an eye on ebay, craigslist, and here for the really good deals. In doing that, I have found a 502 intake to pan, a newer bravo 3 with transom assy, and other parts for less than the cost of a new bravo 3 combined. So for me, it boils down to knowing S*** breaks and will always do it at the worst time (when is a good time on the water?) but, having the know how to fix it is priceless to me. It is about being realistic when stuff breaks. If a drive craps out, I can replace that in 30 min or so no biggie (that's why I have a spare). If it is an engine, obviously i'm going to be down for a bit . That's why we hang with boat buds right? Guess who is stocking the cooler on the the weekends till mine gets fixed? Plan ahead but be smart about it. Sure we all want a procharger/ blower motor on a 5.7 budget but, maybe i'll just buy those spare parts I know I will need in the near future instead.....
Old 01-31-2012, 08:28 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

For me, the biggest way to save is learning how to do your own maintenance. Sometimes the bigger jobs can be more difficult and take certain tools or skills where you don't have a choice but to use a professional.

I also have gotten a lot of help from fellow boaters within the community and the public forums like this.

The more you can learn and understand the basics on your rig, the better off and more efficient you can be.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ziemer
For me, the biggest way to save is learning how to do your own maintenance. Sometimes the bigger jobs can be more difficult and take certain tools or skills where you don't have a choice but to use a professional.

I also have gotten a lot of help from fellow boaters within the community and the public forums like this.

The more you can learn and understand the basics on your rig, the better off and more efficient you can be.
You aint lying between all of my forums I have saved thousands and countless hours on fixing toys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.