Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Only for those that really boat on a budget, how do you handle big ticket expenses? >

Only for those that really boat on a budget, how do you handle big ticket expenses?

Notices

Only for those that really boat on a budget, how do you handle big ticket expenses?

Old 01-30-2012, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Only for those that really boat on a budget, how do you handle big ticket expenses?

I am a true "Boater on a budget" and do 90% of all the work on my boats by myself but I find myself thinking sometimes.....

What if I blow a drive, what if I blow an engine? Will I be able to fix it right away? How long will the boat be down?

How do you other "boaters on a budget" handle expensive repairs?

Just curious?!?!
Old 01-30-2012, 08:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boat first, food second!! Lol
Worry'n is like a rocking chair, gives u something to do but doesn't get u anywhere. **** quite often happens, when it does you will deal with it then. Havin a spare drive for instance, is never a bad thing. Remember parts are always cheaper and easier to find when you DON'T need them. If u see a deal, grab it cause u never kno....
Old 01-30-2012, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kraft Dinner.........
Spam on Sundays.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 502ss
I am a true "Boater on a budget" and do 90% of all the work on my boats by myself but I find myself thinking sometimes.....

What if I blow a drive, what if I blow an engine? Will I be able to fix it right away? How long will the boat be down?

How do you other "boaters on a budget" handle expensive repairs?

Just curious?!?!
I am not sure anyone outside of our hobby would say any of this is on a budget, but I always shop around for things that I know will go out. I keep and extra starter, drive, and things that I know I will break. I just picked up a starter for $30. I find drives cheap.
These things always seem to go out when you have a big weekend planned. Having a spare means not payIng crazy money to get it right then. I keep a great mechanic on speed dial to help me and that is priceless.
The other thing I do is not try and go for that extra 2% that causes things to go boom. Run timing conservative, and motor a little fat.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Credit Cards
Old 01-30-2012, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Ditto on the credit cards....if I have an expense over $1500 or so that I can't handle out of cash flow reasonably fast I will put it on a card and pay it off in the winter when I'm not dropping $600 a month on gas. I am not a fan of credit cards for people that can't realize if they have the ability to pay off but if you are financially smart it works great. I to try to keep some spare parts but there is never enough.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:32 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

According to the Myans this may be our last summer . Blow it out dude . I wanna die owing somebody money . No seriously , i'm hell on maintenance as to minimize failures . Only pound the nuts off of it when it's absolutely necessary .
Old 01-30-2012, 09:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by the deep
According to the Myans this may be our last summer . Blow it out dude . I wanna die owing somebody money . No seriously , i'm hell on maintenance as to minimize failures . Only pound the nuts off of it when it's absolutely necessary .
Now you guy from hoses to nuts and pounding lmfao!
Old 01-30-2012, 09:43 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

I calls em as i sees em !!
Old 01-30-2012, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

I buy another boat and sell everything I don't need lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.