Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    87cafe VIP Member mhydro4u@aol.com's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1987 cigarette cafe racer

Tryin to pull my trs drive off

Im pullin my motor to freshen it up, and I can't seem to pull the damn dive off, after cutting a tamper proof key off and all the nuts off the effin drive just won't budge! Somebody told me to heat up each stud and screw them off ! Just need a little input.

Registered
    My Boats:
    83' Nordic 23' Viking 505 BBC TRS Drive
    With the trim cylinders removed swing the drive up by hand enough to where you can slip a piece of 2 x 2 wood across between the drive and gimble ring and let the drive down against the wood. Now swing the drive up again a couple inches and let it fall against the wood and it will pop loose.

87cafe VIP Member mhydro4u@aol.com's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1987 cigarette cafe racer
    didnt think of that ill try it

VIP Member VIP Member MILD THUNDER's Avatar
    My Boats:
    38 Fountain
    I had a set of Ssm drives that were so stuck on, I had tO make wooden wedges, and drive them in between the drive and the helmet. It took all day, lots of pounding, tugging, sweating and swearing. The corrosion between the stainless mounting studs and aluminum drive case, was like they welded together.

Registered
    My Boats:
    1979 24' Excalibur
    just be careful not to crack the gimbal ring if you get carried away trs drive is pretty heavy for that aluminum gimbal ring

Registered
    My Boats:
    77 donzi x18 92 formula 336 sr1

Fixx

go to the hardware store and buy a couple of the correct size nuts,double nut the studs and see it you can brake then loose from the bell housing,this will sometime loosen the corrosion from around the stud and the housing around it,,if you feel it binding then stop,you may brake the stud.

Platinum Member Platinum Member 502ss's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1984 30' Scarab S-type with twin 502's ------ 1974 21' Tahiti Jet with a 502
    Get a can of this stuff....

http://www.loctitefreezeandrelease.com/

I saw it used on ship shape tv for that exact issue!!
    got twins?
    My build thread 84' Scarab 300

VIP Member VIP Member MILD THUNDER's Avatar
    My Boats:
    38 Fountain
    Quote Originally Posted by mrfixxall View Post
    go to the hardware store and buy a couple of the correct size nuts,double nut the studs and see it you can brake then loose from the bell housing,this will sometime loosen the corrosion from around the stud and the housing around it,,if you feel it binding then stop,you may brake the stud.
    This is a great idea. I will put that in the how to library above my shoulders for future reference.

Registered
    My Boats:
    34 Hatteras 00 Crownline 248 ccr
    i don't think those studs will turn like that. you might be able to get them to flex back and forth a little to break the gunk-salt-corrosion bond between the drive and the studs, but i would be careful. i would get a can of PB Blaster. soak em. tap on side of drive where bolts are. heat side of drive by studs with a torch. pick up drive and drop it on the aforementioned board. repeat ad nauseum. you will get it. oh yeah; unbolt the motor-trans. pull it forward. it may even come out. this will make sure splines aren't siezed between drive and back of trans.

Registered
    My Boats:
    77 donzi x18 92 formula 336 sr1

fixx

Quote Originally Posted by dereknkathy View Post
    i don't think those studs will turn like that. you might be able to get them to flex back and forth a little to break the gunk-salt-corrosion bond between the drive and the studs, but i would be careful. i would get a can of PB Blaster. soak em. tap on side of drive where bolts are. heat side of drive by studs with a torch. pick up drive and drop it on the aforementioned board. repeat ad nauseum. you will get it. oh yeah; unbolt the motor-trans. pull it forward. it may even come out. this will make sure splines aren't siezed between drive and back of trans.
    they unscrew,its a nla part..just have to be careful..

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...c=BELL+HOUSING

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast