Exhaust conversion questions >

Exhaust conversion questions

Notices

Exhaust conversion questions

Old 02-11-2012, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Exhaust conversion questions

I am in the process of re-powering my '79 Formula 255 Liberator. In doing this I decided to up grade to Bravo I drives which has it's own set of issues that seem to be coming together. One issue that I didn't expect to encounter is exhaust and hoses.

Seems that in changing to center riser style from the old log style manifolds I am learning that none of the original coolant hoses work with the new exhaust manifolds....so I have a few questions.

Are all of the hoses different or just one or two?

In upgrading to Bravo I know I am in need of a raw water pump since Bravo's don't have one in the drive. I think it's simpler for me to use crank driven pumps and pull through the drives instead of rounding up all of the brackets and pumps that Merc uses say in a 350 Mag Bravo installation.

Does anyone make a hose that runs from the drive around to a crank driven raw water pump like the Jabsco/Sierra set up found on Crusader and Marine Power set ups?

I'm not afraid to have custom hoses made for this but want to avoid the expense if it's not necessary.

I am planing on using Bravo Y-pipes and am told that they are the same for Bravo Big Block and Small Block...is this correct or is there a specific Y-Pipe for Small Block Bravo?

I am in the process of getting the new engines prepared for installation and these issues have stopped me until I resolve them.

Thanks in advance for answers to any and all comments/suggestions.

Last edited by sprink58; 02-11-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:41 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just checked my Mercruiser catalogs and I think I can get what I need and or make custom hoses. I also confirmed that the Y-pipes for bravo will work with Small Block exhaust manifolds.

Now I have to round up some brackets that I need...plenty of donor small block Mercruisers floating around newer than 1984 so I should be OK.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58
I just checked my Mercruiser catalogs and I think I can get what I need and or make custom hoses. I also confirmed that the Y-pipes for bravo will work with Small Block exhaust manifolds.

Now I have to round up some brackets that I need...plenty of donor small block Mercruisers floating around newer than 1984 so I should be OK.
i have a nice bravo pipe if u need one, also have quick and quiet y's if you want to run out the transom and prop.. pm me thanks
Old 02-12-2012, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

alt p/s bracket. cleaned painted used. 30 bucks at Nuwave. on ebay right now. couple of bravo shift brackets on ebay too. are you running 2 p/s pumps? the L-shaped bracket to mount fuel filter to block will take less time to fab from a piece of angle iron than it will to find, these days you can find dead boats with all brackets for the price of a y-pipe. course you have to drag some glass to the dump.

Last edited by dereknkathy; 02-12-2012 at 08:29 PM.