Notices

head questions

Old 02-19-2012, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head questions

I just purchased my second formula 242ls with twins I purchased it knowing that 1 engine didnt run. when I was looking at it I noticed it had aluminum intakes so i was questioning how stock it was when I got it home I romoved a valve cover and noticed roller rockers, looked some more and it has dart iron eagle heads now the question is will these heads produce more power than the vortec heads Im pulling the engine anyway and I know i would have to change the other engines heads too but the little research i did they have at least 2.02 1.60 heads and I dont know if stock vortec is better than these. because I beleive i can sell these purchase the vortecs and cams. I guess the other question is this a bad head for marine use. I really have not tore into this enough to know what i have.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:01 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

The sb iron eagles are a good head. I don't believe you would be gaining anything going to the vortec head. Fix what you have and enjoy.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:00 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

you may prefer the 1.94 valves over the 2.02's in the Darts. Darts reportedly flow better at high valve lift and high rpms. boats usually run more conservative cams and try to stay under 6000. what a motor will put up with for 11.5 seconds is a lot more than we dare ask of it for 5 min to a half hour at a time. but the Dart heads are also considered to be tougher. you need to see what chamber sizes are in the Darts and then decide whether you are changing pistons or not before you decide to go a different route or run whatcha brung. the Darts will not dissapoint you, and then there's the bling factor when the engine hatch is open. which people usually pay extra for.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:10 AM
Registered

i have the same heads, come to think of it, and mine are 1.94's with 76 cc chambers. go to dartheads.com. then you will see tech info. mouse over that and you will see dart university. there is a listing of all head identifiers. you need to find the 2 digit number stamped on the outside of head between exhaust 6-8 or 1-3
Old 02-22-2012, 06:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replys I just found out this thing has a couple 383s in it and it exploded one of the pistons luckily no damage to the head but it did put a hole in the cylinder and bent a rod. So I'm gonna bea asking some more questions when I get the cam out to make sure its a good marine cam
Old 02-22-2012, 06:58 PM
Registered

so, you are looking for a core 350 block. 1 or 2-piece seal, whatever you have now. try hard to find a 4-bolt. you will need to bore it to the size of the other 7 pistons and get 1 new one. unless they are really beat or cast junk. it most likely has 5.7 rods. (stock 350 rods.) so the core engine should come with 8 usable ones. obviously you need the crank checked. i and many others like the 350 LT1 cam. my Nova does 63 at 5200 with 23 Mirages.