Old 02-25-2012, 07:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so you have 2 sets or just one
Old 02-25-2012, 07:29 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Sorry , just one set . Fully polished , dry tails .
Old 02-25-2012, 07:41 PM
Registered

sorry I dont know all the terms dry tails? my current setup exits below swim platform im interested but im not sure how universal they are
Old 02-25-2012, 08:00 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Dry tailpipes , cooling water never mixes with the exhaust gasses . Cooling water exits via outer tail pipe water jacket and exhaust via center pipe . Absolutely no chance of reversion . Tails exit thru the transom and extend about 6 or 7 inches aft . On the boat they were on also under the platform . You can run a hotter cam for maximum power with dry tails . This is also much more expensive exhaust system . To me it was worth every penny . I hope this helps you .
Old 02-25-2012, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OK...let's say your 383's are making 400 horse power...you theoretically have 800 horsepower in the water in a boat that weighs around 5500 lbs with a full fuel load and driver. You have plenty of power...you are limited by the drives and the drag of the hull. A fast tech step hull with that power will get to 80 MPH and beyond but a conventional V bottom, Alpha drives with the traditional "Formula Hook" might not get there with 1000 horsepower. All you will end up doing is chine walking all over the place and possibly flipping the boat.

You are at the point that you need to start looking at custom drive nose cones and shorter X dimensions to get past 70~75 with a 242 LS.

I have a similar situation with similar power. I figure 75 is the most I will ever see from mine and I am resolved to be happy with that as well as the ability to cruise at 50~55 with out strain all day.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:11 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Please don't forget to call Bob Madara for cam help . One of his first questions will be , wet or dry exhaust , makes a huge diff in cam selection . By the way , he is the best there is as far as marine valve trains period .. this is not just my opinion but just about everyone here at O.S.O.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by the deep
Please don't forget to call Bob Madara for cam help . One of his first questions will be , wet or dry exhaust , makes a huge diff in cam selection . By the way , he is the best there is as far as marine valve trains period .. this is not just my opinion but just about everyone here at O.S.O.
Bob is the king of valvetrain.