Notices

Carbs pissing me off

Old 03-22-2012, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pretty much normal..all the gas goes away in a week sitting, spin the engine over for 10 secs or so, them pump throttle 6-8 times, see how that works...they have all kinds of cures for those but have not seen 1 thats works for these sitting for any length of time..
Old 03-22-2012, 05:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by doggiedave
Quadrajet carbs have 2 cup plugs that go to the main wells that are pressed in at factory. heat expansion cause these plugs to leak eventually. they will leak when the engine is cold which will drain the fuel bowl after sitting for long periods. some people will epoxy the plugs which is a temporary cure. the best cure is to buy a well plug kit then drill a small hole in the plug and screw a sheet metal screw into plug to remove it. the new plugs are aluminum with a o-ring that can be pressed into original holes then can be carefuly staked to hold in place. this has been a chronic problem with Q-jets for years
echo!! i put devcon epoxy over mine 15 yrs ago,,still holding loke a champ so a tempory fix> NOT!
Old 03-22-2012, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

cdeezy. you say those are webers? they look like my edelbrocks. (carter AFB with edelbrock stickers on them).
Old 03-22-2012, 08:53 PM
Registered

Default fixx

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
cdeezy. you say those are webers? they look like my edelbrocks. (carter AFB with edelbrock stickers on them).
edelbrock use's webber castings and i think if you look at the side the webber name is still on them.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:09 PM
Registered
Gold Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a thought.

Do you have a mechanical or electric fuel pump? After sitting, the gas can evaporate from the bowls. A mechanical pump will take a little cranking to get the fuel back up the line and into the bowls.
All the throttle pumping and chocking in the world won't help til the gas is there.

A electric pump will fill the bowls in just a few seconds, then pump a couple of times and the motor should fire with just a crank or two.

If you have a mechanical pump, replace it with an electric one and as long the carbs are right you should have no more hard start problems.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:00 PM
Registered

weber bought carter carbs and edelbrock picked up rights to them. the well plugs started to show up in early 80's common problem with quadrajets, used to be kits to epoxy them.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:26 AM
Registered

I'll have to look again and see if I see 'Weber' stamped on it anywhere but the airhorn sticker and stamping on it is 9780S. Engine serial starts with OF4xxxxx.

I tore it apart the other day, and the stbd metering rod assembly had a lot what looked to be fogging oil in it and the top retaining spring was off. Also the idle mixture screw on the stbd side was only 3/4 turn out, the port was about 1-1/8. Inside looked pretty clean with the exception of the stbd metering rod/venturi.

I got my rebuild kit so I'll get it put back together and see if it makes a difference. I figured I'd try that before just buying a new carb.

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
Old 03-24-2012, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i don't think Merc ever used a carter-webber stock. i think they were all q-jet and some holleys...the Carter AFB-whateveer it is called these days is a design from the early sixties that is pretty easy to work with. easier than the q-jet. the quadrajet, once you get it right, is an 800 cfm carb though. of course the fuel that goes with 600 cfm of air is already a bit much these days...
Old 03-24-2012, 10:39 AM
Registered

The Webers were used at least during the 1992-1996 vintage.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...TOR%28WEBER%29
Old 03-24-2012, 01:13 PM
Registered

Default fixx

Originally Posted by c_deezy
The Webers were used at least during the 1992-1996 vintage.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...TOR%28WEBER%29
+1,they even used it on the 350 mags...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.