Notices

Carbs pissing me off

Old 03-25-2012, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blefever
Just a thought.

Do you have a mechanical or electric fuel pump? After sitting, the gas can evaporate from the bowls. A mechanical pump will take a little cranking to get the fuel back up the line and into the bowls.
All the throttle pumping and chocking in the world won't help til the gas is there.

A electric pump will fill the bowls in just a few seconds, then pump a couple of times and the motor should fire with just a crank or two.

If you have a mechanical pump, replace it with an electric one and as long the carbs are right you should have no more hard start problems.
Pretty sure they are mechanical, what would electric get wired into, the battery.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:18 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by soldier4402
Pretty sure they are mechanical, what would electric get wired into, the battery.
I would not waste my money on electric pumps . If you do that you will also need fuel pressure regulators and plum return lines . Not necessary in your case . You will be fine just rebuilding your carbs . if your not comfortable doing it yourself send them to Cliffs' High Performance . Give them a call at 740-397-2921...Beware doing things that will do little other than lighten your wallet . Now , if you plan on adding a lot of power thats another thing .

Last edited by the deep; 03-25-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soldier4402
I never solved this problem on my qjets no matter how hard I tried. I tried it all. What I did figure out was to crank one engine over for a few seconds, no throtle pumping. Then go to the other engine and do the same. Then come back to the first engine and pump one time and return to slightly off idle and it would start right up. The cranking then let sit a minute allows the fuel to fill the bowls. The best fix of all for me though was when I switched to 800dp holleys.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:18 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I think I will start with rebuilding the carbs or fixing the accelerator. All good ideas and thanks. I just dont want to replace half the engine trying to make it better. lol Thanks again