Notices

Carbs pissing me off

Old 03-20-2012, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Carbs pissing me off

I have 91 454's with carbs, beleive the brand is rochester. Got on here last summer to figure out whats up. The engines take forever and ever and ever to fire. Once they fire and run for a little bit the boat is good rest of the day and for a day or two, turn key. I have tried pumping and pump 8-10 times still dont fire. IM guessing the fuel drains out of the bowls. Any tips to correct this, carb cleaner. Even had one carb adjusted last summer. Its really irritating to say the least. I know Im used to FI, and these carbs arent going to start on a dime but dang.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:40 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Try new accelerator pumps and check balls . That's a pretty common problem with those carbs .
Old 03-20-2012, 12:46 PM
Registered

excuse me for being ignorant. I am pretty mechanically inclined and fix most things on my own. But are these on the carbs, you have a part description.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Registered

well google was great and found some info and know what your talking now. any idea on parts.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:59 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,814 Likes on 903 Posts

They are 21 years olds. Send them to somebody that specializes in rebuilding Q Jet carbs. They are due.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:20 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Originally Posted by soldier4402
excuse me for being ignorant. I am pretty mechanically inclined and fix most things on my own. But are these on the carbs, you have a part description.
Ok , take a look at the top of your carb . On the front right side you will see a green pivet rod sitting on a round rod . The accel pump is attached to that rod down inside the carb and looks like a rubber umbrella . The check ball is also in that space . Remove screw from the needle jet mount on top the secondaries ( be careful don't drop em , they will bend very easy )pull them straight up and out . Now with a small punch tap the pin in on that green pivet rod ( let a small space between the pin and the carb so to get a screwdriver blade in there for reassembly ) ok , take all screws out of carb lid and gently lift off . Be careful , fuel pump rod has a spring under it .Look in there closely for a small ball (looks like a ball bearing ) I just turn the carb upside down to remove . Your part # will be stamped on the right side of the carb by the secondary linkage . You'll need the number to get rebuild kits . Pretty easy huh . Need to know something else just ask ...
Old 03-20-2012, 01:25 PM
Registered

hey thanks just read a few things and I should be able to figure it out. Boat comes out in a week or two and getting 2012's repair list ready. From what I read you might be right on it being this part.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Originally Posted by soldier4402
hey thanks just read a few things and I should be able to figure it out. Boat comes out in a week or two and getting 2012's repair list ready. From what I read you might be right on it being this part.
I have repaired so many with this same problem i can do it eyes closed . Have one on the work bench rite now with the same problem , brother in laws . Replace the needle and seat under the float too or at least the needle . Old carbs don't like ethanol as it eats the old rubber parts . New rebuild kit should take care of that . If you don't already know , the needle will be hanging on the float when you pull it straight up and out so be careful . One more thing , while the carb is off , check the screws on the bottom plate , have found too many loose . You are welcome and THANK YOU for your service !!
Old 03-20-2012, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

could be 2 reasons,,first is if you remove the carberator and flip it upside down you will see 2 plugs on the forward semi square holes,,thease plugs go to the jets on the primary circuit on the carb..they will leak over a period of time..i usually remove the base plate and epoxy over the primary and secondary jet and metering rod plugs..common on older q-jet carbs..also after using your boat try shutting off the fuel lines at the tank,,you could be loosing your prime in the fuel system and the fuel could be gravity feeding back to the tank..

carb link,,look in the 2 forward holes and you eill see the plugs..
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=q+jet...:0&tx=88&ty=82
Old 03-21-2012, 08:14 AM
Registered

thanks again to all

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.