Notices

Gen V 454

Old 03-28-2012, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gen V 454

I have a head and cam selection question for a 454 build…. I purchased a 1973 Nordic Jet boat that had been used for drag racing, it had a blown 455 motor and the original Berkley jet removed and had been fitted with a Dominator jet pump. I removed the 455 and replaced the motor with a small block Chevy that I had thought was built to the hill (Skat crank Afr heads forged pistons, custom hydro roller cam by comp cams 480 lift 480 exhaust 285 duration @.50 106 lobe separation. The motor would only hit 3500 rpm at 42 mph on the water. I removed the motor out of frustration and purchased a 454. My question is, what cam and head combination should I use for this motor in order to get more some usable rpm out of it. It’s a fresh rebuilt Gen V 454 with the peanut heads. I want to remove the heads and change the cam but need some advice as to what heads and cam combo to use since I know these motors are tricky when it comes to head selection and I cant find any good info as to what heads work with this block. I would like to be in at least the 60mph range. Any help would be appreciated thanks in advance

Last edited by jetmastersplash; 03-28-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Jet; Your small block did not have the torque to get more than 3500 rpm because the impeller in the drive was to agressive. You need to find out which impeller you have to match it to the engine characteristics. You will end up with the same issue otherwise.

The big rectangular port heads are probably what you want with a roller cam. But then you need an intake to match. I have Dart Iron eagle heads, Merc intake from a 500HP, 750 holleys, a Crane cam and dyno at 475 hp about 5200 rpm. I have older Gen IV 454 punched out to 468.

Wannabe
Old 03-29-2012, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked at the pump and the only numbers I can find on it are MB-12S A I shined a light into the pump itself to see if I could see any numbers on the impeller but nothing