Questions about adding inside hydraulic steering >

Questions about adding inside hydraulic steering

Notices

Questions about adding inside hydraulic steering

Old 03-28-2012, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Questions about adding inside hydraulic steering

I'm in the process of removing my old mechanical helm and cable to install the inside hydraulic system. I currently have an add on system by Marine Machine. I'm looking at purchasing one of two systems CP Performance has for sale. One is the basic kit, the other the deluxe. The difference being the deluxe uses an external power steering resevoir, the basic not. CP wants me to use the deluxe, but it's just going to be a more complex install and I also have limited options for mounting the resevoir and making it higher than the stock pump with my shallow boat.

I have a buddy with a 26 velocity with full hydraulic and he does not have the remote resevoir, but I believe he has only one external ram vs. my 2 ram single drive. Just looking for additional opinions on adding the hydraulic inside kit with or without the additional resevoir. Thanks.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't need the add-on external reservoir.

Installed the dual ram Mayfair system, and removed the external reservoir and had no issue. Full hydro to the helm.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:37 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cloudmaster_321
I'm in the process of removing my old mechanical helm and cable to install the inside hydraulic system. I currently have an add on system by Marine Machine. I'm looking at purchasing one of two systems CP Performance has for sale. One is the basic kit, the other the deluxe. The difference being the deluxe uses an external power steering resevoir, the basic not. CP wants me to use the deluxe, but it's just going to be a more complex install and I also have limited options for mounting the resevoir and making it higher than the stock pump with my shallow boat.

I have a buddy with a 26 velocity with full hydraulic and he does not have the remote resevoir, but I believe he has only one external ram vs. my 2 ram single drive. Just looking for additional opinions on adding the hydraulic inside kit with or without the additional resevoir. Thanks.
Hey there Cloudmaster im in the process of ordereing the dual ram single outdrive addon kit and do the inside later. My question is how well did this work, and could you tell a big difference when you installed the add on??? I dont have the money to do the completed system right now thanks for the help.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by swan2
Hey there Cloudmaster im in the process of ordereing the dual ram single outdrive addon kit and do the inside later. My question is how well did this work, and could you tell a big difference when you installed the add on??? I dont have the money to do the completed system right now thanks for the help.
I didn't drive the boat with the stock system. I bought the boat used, and it already had the Marine Machine add on system. I can tell you one thing though, coming into the docks can be tricky as the steering at idle is stiff and your not able to make quick corrections. I'm hoping the full system will rectify that.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I didn't drive the boat with the stock system. I bought the boat used, and it already had the Marine Machine add on system. I can tell you one thing though, coming into the docks can be tricky as the steering at idle is stiff and your not able to make quick corrections. I'm hoping the full system will rectify that.
Thanks for the reply back. I think im going to give it a try like I said im unable to purchase it all at one time. One more question did the steering seem tight at higher speeds? I have already had my gimble and all the bellows replaced just want to tighten things up and have a little more control as my boat does reach the 80mph mark on gps. since I have added more hp.. again thank you for replying.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:49 PM
Registered

oh yeah, it's definately stable and tight at speed. No problems there; granted your mechanical helm and cable are good.......
Old 03-30-2012, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did the same thing....used their std kit..BUT you will need the tool to do the line ends..trust me !!! also some machine marine uses a different size inside fitting to ck sizes before ordering...
Old 03-30-2012, 09:58 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks guys I will be ordering my kit soon and trying it out cant wait. Ill let you all know how it turns out. will be doing the job myself to try and save some money.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ezstriper
I just did the same thing....used their std kit..BUT you will need the tool to do the line ends..trust me !!! also some machine marine uses a different size inside fitting to ck sizes before ordering...
Yeah, I already have the -6 AN mandrel for making lines here at work. So that will make it easy. Pretty common stuff for aircraft fittings.

You didn't get talked into the deluxe kit with the resevoir?
Old 04-18-2012, 07:10 PM
Registered

just a thought . you probably can fix the stiffness by enlarging the power steering pump orfice ?? helps move more fluid at low rpm , just trying to help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.