Internal Flapper Replacement >

Internal Flapper Replacement

Notices

Internal Flapper Replacement

Old 04-04-2012, 01:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Internal Flapper Replacement

Need some Help. I am replacing 3 out of the four internal flappers for my boat. I have the replacement flappers but want to make sure I am doing it correctly. I believe we have to remove the tips of the stern and loosen the the clamps around the rubber in the engine compartment, to pull the tips out and then replace the broken flappers with the new ones. With that being said is that all that needs to be done or can you replace them without removing the tips? If we have to remove the tips to replace, when we re-install the tips into the stern what type of sealant/culk needs to be placed on the tips? Any help is appreciated.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:18 PM
Registered

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

it is easier to remove the tips, just loosen the two clamps at the tip, remove the screws on the tip, take fishing line and go around the outside of the tip to release any adhesive from transom, wiggle the tip in every direction while pulling back, also when reinstalling, smear dish soap on the inside of the exhaust hose, if the tips are above the waterline then a silicone caulk can be used, if below use 3m 4200
Old 04-04-2012, 09:19 PM
Registered

I gotta do the same thing. Ugh..... :-(
Old 04-05-2012, 06:32 AM
Registered

Blown... Thanks for the help. Wanted to make sure i was doing the right thing before I got to involved and doing the wrong work.

Kid.... I'm not to happy about it but got to be done and doesnt look to labor intesive.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Registered

I went the simple way and just put the rubber flappers on the end of the tips..... You cannot see my exhaust because fo the swim platform so I was not worried about looks.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:41 AM
Registered

I got internals AND RUBBER FLAPPERS. I think I'm just gonna gut the internals or run it how it is. LOL
Old 04-05-2012, 01:01 PM
Registered

How do you know if they need replaced?
Old 04-05-2012, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pluguglyinhere
How do you know if they need replaced?
When they're gone.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:47 PM
Registered

I am new to the whole thing, I dont have external ones so I assume I have internals. So is there a way to tell with out taking them apart, what happens if you didnt realize they were gone.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
When they're gone.
Originally Posted by pluguglyinhere
I am new to the whole thing, I dont have external ones so I assume I have internals. So is there a way to tell with out taking them apart, what happens if you didnt realize they were gone.
Should be able to look up the tail pipe with a flash light and see them. I have a picture in thread called "how bad is this" in the technical section. All the rubber contact points are burnt off my internals so when I start it up it sounds like the rain cap flapper on a tractor exhaust stack, 'ting ting ting ting'. Half of one of the internals is laid open and is Hung up and won't let it close aswell. Worst case if there gone you might have got some reversion, or a big wave hits the back of your boat and hydrolocks your motor. Rare but could happen. If your getting reversion I'm told you can keep and eye on your oil changes for milky oil (water in oil) and by cutting your oil filters apart.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.