old trim pumps to new trim pumps wiring help >

old trim pumps to new trim pumps wiring help

Notices

old trim pumps to new trim pumps wiring help

Old 04-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default old trim pumps to new trim pumps wiring help

heres the deal my boats old 77 formula had oldschool reverse lock trim pumps these

wanting to wire in these newer pump i bought off a member.

i do not have any selinoids yet what you see is what i have..
any one use relays or anything else?? im open dont need to be factory just need these babys to move my drives up and down.. i have the factory wiring running to the front of the boat wires consit of
big red
big green
smaller purple
smaller blue

some one butchered the wiring going to the switchs as the trim sensors where bad and they didnt know how to bypass them correctly so i need to hook it up to switchs as well
heres the oldschool switchs i have im down to using them or possibly updating to something newer
Old 04-06-2012, 12:56 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

First basics the MOTOR wires are
Black-ground
Blue-up (sky)
Green-down (grass)
Trim system is wired independently from all other wireing in the boat. You will have large Red and a large Black wires coming from the battery to the pumps.
The big Red wire going to the front is the Positive flowing to the switch.
The big Green is the positive flowing back to the Down on the pump.
The small purple is the Up flowing back to the trim limit switch.
The small blue is the Up/Trailer flowing back to the pump which bypasses the trim limit switch for trailering.

Your old pumps were wired with only one solenoid used for going up. The down was wired directly to the motor from the switch with no solenoid due to less current draw to lower the drives. That was changed shortly after yours to using 2 solenoids, one for up and one for down.You can see on your old pump how the green MOTOR wire is connected to the green wire going to the 3 connector plug. A small blue wire comes from that same 3 connector plug and goes to the solenoid as well as the large blue MOTOR wire. You will also see the red wire from the 3 connector plug is connected to a small circuit breaker and then a orange wire is going from the breaker to the hot positive terminal on the solenoid. This supplies the positive going to the front. You should probably set this up with 2 solenoids or relays.
If you give/PM me an email address I can send you the wiring diagram from the manual which uses the 3 button control and two solenoids.

Last edited by picklenjim; 04-06-2012 at 01:02 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jason thanks for posting that, I'm actually looking at making the switch myself. However until then does anybody have info on what solenoids those are. I need to replace one and can't find any info on them.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bigmike253
Jason thanks for posting that, I'm actually looking at making the switch myself. However until then does anybody have info on what solenoids those are. I need to replace one and can't find any info on them.
bigmike, what drives do you have and are they the single solenoid pumps or duel solenoid.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:00 AM
Registered

Jason, what drives do you have. I believe your old pump works with an external reverse lock valve. That clear/white plastic line coming off the bottom is the down line which usually runs to the reverse lock valve. It uses compression fittings. You may have problems with the old lines working with the new pumps. May be different size and types of fittings.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alpha 1s, single solenoid.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:12 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is great info...I am doing the same thing except to Bravo I
Old 04-06-2012, 01:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bigmike253
does anybody have info on what solenoids those are. I need to replace one and can't find any info on them.
You can get those solenoids for mercruisers at Napa. There were 2 designs.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...815_0134696184

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...816_0134691749
Old 04-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Registered

yes mine are old alphas with reverse locks my reverse locks are messed up when i got the boat and i just wanted to clean it up and upgrade it.. reason for the switch ive got all my outdrive stuff off so switching lines to adapt the new pumps is no problem as i planed on having to do it anyways...

my email is [email protected]
please send what ya got over THANKS GUYS glad some others can get some help out of this as well ill post the pics up once i get them in this tread
Old 04-06-2012, 02:13 PM
Registered

if any one needs any of the old pump stuff ill prolly sell my old stuff lemme know

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.