Notices

remote oil filter

Old 04-11-2012, 01:54 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mike tkach
i have seen braided stainless hose come off a fitting,you will never see a pushlock hose come off the fitting,the fitting will break before the hose comes off,as far as the hose getting cut from inside,thats one i have never heard of,there is nothing sharp inside,the fittings are blunt.
I've seen the last barb cut through like I said,
This was on a smaller size, like -4 or 6. Ive taken lots of them apart, including new hose/fittings that I wasn't happy with my first cut length, and I found it disturbingly easy to give the hose a good pull and tear it out. I don't use them on anything critical.

As far as pressure ratings go something that can pass a proof test when brand new at 250 psi isn't a good enough factor of safety for continuous usage at 100 in my book for something with expensive consequences. Water or air hoses, fine, just not my engine oil. Not trying to argue with anyone, just saying come look at my latest rigging project, and you will see push lock on only the following:

-boost, engine water, and intercooler water pressure gauge lines
-engine flush fittings
-drive oil reservoir
-power steering reservoir, and i think a few fittings in the low pressure side/cooler area (although USCG frowns on even that)

Not to say that screw or swaged fittings can't fail, but I like the odds a bit better.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:17 AM
Registered

I have pushlocks all over my engine, but all with a clamp on them. Not a hose clamp, but a thin clip together clamp. I dont know what they are called, thats just what my hose guy likes to use. Takes a special tool to secure them on.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am stiil confused on what kind of fitting will mate up with my stock oil cooler and oil filter adapter. Anyone know?
Old 04-11-2012, 11:03 AM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
both of my boats have-12 pushlock hose,how is 250lb rating not good for 100 lbs max?
there no good because you did not prick/cut/bloody your finger tips like you do w/ss braided hose.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Registered

Can't argue with that. I've got two fingers currently in recovery.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:09 PM
Registered

Getting back to the original topic, I would suggest looking at Amsoil's site. They supply a black nylon braided hose, with reusable JIC fittings that you can do yourself. If you do just go push lock, a backup means of securing them is a great idea. Your local Parker dealer can hook you up with whatever you want. If you work out the lengths, you can get crimped fittings made up, which are cheaper than the reusables.

FYI, I happened to notice that the design pressure on a HP6A racing oil filter is 400 psi. That's a reasonable factor of safety.