Notices

Engine Dynoed Today.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Engine Dynoed Today.

Well, got my engine on the dyno today. After a full rebuild, new pistons, heads redone, new blowers, etc. Mike Tkach on the board here built the shortblocks for me, and I did the top ends. Here's the specs

468 CI Mark IV blocks
Manley H-Beam Rods
JE Flattop pistons
Speed Pro Plasma moly File Fit rings
Custom Crower hyd roller blower cam
Morel Lifters
Isky SP Endurance Springs
Crane Gold Rockers
Arp Head studs
Cometic Head Gaskets
Dart 308 Aluminum Race series heads w/light port work
Dart Adjustable guideplates
B&M 420 Mega blowers underdriven
Holley 850 Marine carbs
No intercoolers

Engines made
804HP@6200 at 6.9psi of boost.
798HP@6000 at 6.6psi of boost

Over 700FTlbs from 4000 thru 5800 RPM. These were budget builds, that turned out pretty nice for what they are. Little old school engines.

I must say thanks, to all the guys that have given me advice over the past few months. Its invaluable.

Mike Tkach
KVogt
Eddie Young
Dean Gellner

And a few others. Kudos to guys like these who are very knowledgeable, and yet take the time to share their knowledge with a young buck like me, and Im not even spending money with them. I told the dyno operator today when he asked me before we even started the engine "If they make 700HP at 5psi I am a happy guy". First warmup pull we did 747HP@5500. I was smiling.
Attached Thumbnails Engine Dynoed Today.-phone-pics-125.jpg   Engine Dynoed Today.-phone-pics-127.jpg   Engine Dynoed Today.-phone-pics-126.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
87CigCafe (11-12-2023)
Old 04-10-2012, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nice! if a guy were to take a bone stock 454 mag how much $ would it take to do what you did?
Old 04-10-2012, 07:30 PM
Registered

Thumbs up power

Glad the builds worked out for you. Nice numbers, that beaker should pick up some speed. I figured the pulleys 600 pulleys would be fine....actually made more boost than i thought they would....exactly 2 lbs more than a 509. INTRERCOOLER TIME!!!!
Old 04-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by greencard
Glad the builds worked out for you. Nice numbers, that beaker should pick up some speed. I figured the pulleys 600 pulleys would be fine....actually made more boost than i thought they would....exactly 2 lbs more than a 509. INTRERCOOLER TIME!!!!
Im sure I can add some chillers and some boost down the road, but the well is dry my friend lol

And, dont wanna be stressing those SSM IV small shaft drives too much just yet! Maybe it might be time to add the big shafts to the iv's next winter!
Old 04-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

joe,thanks for the kind words,im honored to have my name along with eddie and dean,i wish i knew half as much as they do,the engines will make your boat move along nicely,we might have to change your name from mild thunder to bad azz thunder.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:57 PM
Registered

Thats awesome those guys offered there expertise.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

Those are impressive numbers! This is next winters project for me.

Couple ?'s if you don't mind. Compression ratio, timing and intake temps?
Old 04-10-2012, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice job!
Old 04-10-2012, 08:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
joe,thanks for the kind words,im honored to have my name along with eddie and dean,i wish i knew half as much as they do,the engines will make your boat move along nicely,we might have to change your name from mild thunder to bad azz thunder.
You know me Mike, I spend a TON of time reading about this $hit. Probably too much. I will say I impressed myself with my carb rebuild/baseline settings. Pretty darn close straight from the Mild Thunder workshop.

As for you, you've been a big help, and appreciate you coming down to help tune. We hit it off being buddies during the last several months, and I'm sure that will carry on. Especially since you are now a Fountain owner lol

Kris Vogt is always a big help. Hell, Kris called me this morning, before I even knew the dyno shop would be bolting it on the dyno. He asked me what I had for jets, and I told him. He told me I may have to step it up a tad, which we ended up having too. He also said 34-35* timing, again, where we ended up. Just a super sharp guy.

Eddie Young. Poor eddie. Whenever I was up late, and second guessing my choices on things, Eddie Got a email. Eddie always took the time to re-assure me, or advise in some way. The guy is a class act, and just genuine good people. While Eddie may build some super awesome modern EFI whippled stuff, he's no stranger to the budget based old school roots/carbed stuff.

Dean Gellner was always a text away, and again, offered some great insight. Not too mention, a fun guy to share stories with over a few beers and chicken wings while I visited Cleveland.

I guess what Im getting at, is thanking these guys. And just so they know, not one ounce of information that they took the time to share with me, went in one ear and out the other. Its all up there in my feeble mind, or jotted down in a notebook.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:47 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts
Thumbs up

Very nice job guys . Clean assembly and nice power . Thanks for sharing ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.