Notices

Alpha one gen one?

Old 04-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Alpha one gen one?

Looking at a boat in near perfect condition with a 350 mercruiser but I noticed something while the engine was running...
Has anyone ever seen water coming out of square cap on top of outdrive where the notch is??? Also, on the side there is a small hole and water seems to pump out of there steadily as well. The owner says it's always done that... It shifts perfect, no water in the gear oil... Any ideas?? Let me know... Going for sea trial at the end of the week.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have seen that before but I cant remember if it was an R or MR. What year is the boat you are looking at?
Old 05-01-2012, 09:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Randy Nielsen
I have seen that before but I cant remember if it was an R or MR. What year is the boat you are looking at?
Its a 87' Wellcraft Nova but the drive is definitely an alpha one gen one. I have an 89 Eclipse with the same set up but never seen water coming out of that area. Actually never had that cap off but I believe its just got a bearing under it... As far as that hole on the side, I think its a drain like on the bottom of the drive.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:13 AM
Registered

My CC is an '87 with the same drive, I've never seen water coming out of the places you describe. FWIW.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:04 AM
Registered

Like the others, never seen water coming out of those places on my Gen 1 Alpha..