Where to place an oil temp sender >

Where to place an oil temp sender

Notices

Where to place an oil temp sender

Old 06-15-2012, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to place an oil temp sender

This is a standard Gen VI 500 HP carb set up with the standard oil cooler and rear mounted remote oil filter / T-stat housing. I do have 12 qt oil pans.

I added a pair of oil temp gages, but the oil temps are not realistic (340 deg F.). I used an infared temp gage on the oil pan sump and it only read 200. I know it's not exact, but it sure ain't 340 either.

I put the senser in one of the holes along the oil pan rail in front of the oil filter boss on the engine. My guess is there is no flow in that area, and that is why the gage reads high.
Is there another spot for the senser ? There are two 1/8" ports on the oil filter / t-stat block. Any suggestions ?
Old 06-15-2012, 03:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

debatable topic and has been beat to death but it comes down to what temp do you want to read? Do you want to see how hot the oil is before or after cooling? Once you decide that, it gets easier to figure out where to place the sender. Alot of people take the temp at the filter i.m.o.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I have mine in the remote filter head, just make sure it's grounded. You would think that the -10 steel braided lines would be enough to carry the current, they don't. You need to run a separate ground.