Transom Mounted Water Pick Up's >

Transom Mounted Water Pick Up's

Notices

Transom Mounted Water Pick Up's

Old 06-22-2012, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Transom Mounted Water Pick Up's

I have a 2005 Velocity 260 with an Imoc SC lower and a low water pick up. I am considering moving my water pick up, up on the transom to keep from picking up so much debris when running in shallow water. What types and brands of water pick up's are you using? My boat has a notched transom, so where do I mount it and how deep? I am just starting to research this, so I am open to any and all suggestions. Pictures would be great.
Thanks,
Steve

Old 06-22-2012, 09:38 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO I don't think there is anything for you to gain by relocating your pick up to the transom. Not knowing what your prop depth is now? That looks like a shortie? You need to have your pick up in the lowest portion of the hull not up in the notched part and as close to center as possible. I don't think any one designed pick up is better than the other. If your running in dirty water, which it sounds like you are then your gonna want one with a grate to keep out debris. Do you have a strainer? Even the slightest protrusion into the water of any pickup is going to scrub off speed ever so slightly. You could notch the transom for a racing type pick up but now your into glass work etc. I'll be reworking my pick ups this off season and going to the notches and racing pick ups. Right now my bottom pick ups only stick out of the bottom about 3/4" but my builder thinks there is a few MPH to gain by smoothing them out. He says that at WOT and top speed I am actually riding up on the pick ups and they can be holding me back 2 MPH. Makes sence and at 115-120 every MPH gets harder to find. So for me, a couple grand to get the glass work done is worth the loot for the gained speed but to do it for say 68-70 MPH, not so much.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:47 PM
Registered

It is a standand length Imco, not a shortie and yes I do have a sea strainer. I have had a few instances where I have got in shallow water and it sucked up sea weed or mud and pluged my strainer and started to overheat. So had to clean strainer to continue. Was thinking if I moved it up, I wouldn't be bottom sucking. Not liking the thought of loosing speed though.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:49 PM
Registered

Does Imco make a grate to cover the intake slot?
Old 06-22-2012, 09:57 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

I doubt that by moving your pick up up an inch or two is going to help the situation much. What strainer are you running? Do you have room for a larger strainer? That's probly your best bet to avoid total clogging and the least expensive fix. No, actually your best fix is to stay the hell out of 3' water areas. Sorry. BTW I have a hugh KPM strainer if you need a larger one. It's 6" round and 18" tall. Polished aluminum with a blue top.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:16 PM
Registered

I have a KPM too.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:17 AM
Registered

Default fixx

where do you boat? rock river,chain? i would relocate my debt finder pick up first so you have a little warning..move it further forward..
Old 06-23-2012, 10:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
where do you boat? rock river,chain? i would relocate my debt finder pick up first so you have a little warning..move it further forward..
Yes and others, My boat is easily trailerable so I move around quite a bit. Some places I go it is shallow around the docks , ramps or channels and the low water pick up vaccums up the bottom . Then the sea strainer clogs etc. When I was running the standard Bravo lower with DWP I rarely had a problem. As far as moving the transducer, mine is glassed in the bottom ,so it would be difficult.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:08 AM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

I see, nice set up that should work fine, you just have to stay out of the knee deep water. It's only a matter of time before your replacing the prop or skeg from hitting bottom or some submerged junk. Whatta ya doin, bass fishin? lol
Old 06-23-2012, 01:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fireboatpilot
I see, nice set up that should work fine, you just have to stay out of the knee deep water. It's only a matter of time before your replacing the prop or skeg from hitting bottom or some submerged junk. Whatta ya doin, bass fishin? lol
No fishin, lol, they would have to be the flying type. Since it doesn't sound like an easy fix I think I will just leave it alone and stay deep .
Thanks,
Steve