what do you have to hold open your engine hatch

Notices

what do you have to hold open your engine hatch

Old 06-25-2012, 10:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts
Default what do you have to hold open your engine hatch

I have the old school side by side race hatches that open out to the sides and they only have one spring per hatch to keep them open ( the first picture). Right now there is only one spring on each hatch near the front that keeps them open. I dont know why someone took the rear ones off. I could put another set of the spring type on the rear but they are always a PITA to close and I would think that two of them would be an even bigger pain. Has anybody used a hydraulic cylinder? I have seen the electric actuators but from what I hear they are not that reliable.
Attached Thumbnails what do you have to hold open your engine hatch-moonlitemar_bighatchholder.jpg  
Old 06-25-2012, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a single hatch actuator electric and does a fine job, I have see them at cpperformance $250 a piece.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wife
Old 06-25-2012, 03:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
Wife
dont have one of thoses, does GF count?
Old 06-26-2012, 02:03 AM
Registered

I have two gas pistons, like the kind that hold open the rear gate on an SUV. Hatch is secured down with hood pins and clips.

I think that these would be ideal for your setup. Make sure you measure open and closed distances for the hatch, and get ones that are strong enough, but not so strong that you cant close the hatches.

You can find them at West Marine, but they are stupid expensive. I got mine off of Ebay Stores, store was called Strut-your-stuff or something to that effect. they have them in alot of different sizes/strengths.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:39 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Mine is same as Phils. Usually the ones that they use for the rear hatch on an SUV are good, probly an estimate on what your hatch weighs would help. Mine are getting a little weak though and I'll be installing an electric opener. Just make sure if you go electric you have a way to pull one of the pins out with the hatch closed in case batteries are dead or cylinder fails.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Philm
You can find them at West Marine, but they are stupid expensive. I got mine off of Ebay Stores, store was called Strut-your-stuff or something to that effect. they have them in alot of different sizes/strengths.
You can also find them locally at Wal-Mart, Autozone, O-Rielly's (sp?), Advance Auto, NAPA, and so on and so on.