1st gen alpha1 oil in gimbal bellows & milky >

1st gen alpha1 oil in gimbal bellows & milky

Notices

1st gen alpha1 oil in gimbal bellows & milky

Old 07-10-2012, 06:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st gen alpha1 oil in gimbal bellows & milky

I just pulled apart today. I have not checked the pinion seal. Some one else Put in new gaskets and o rings but it wasn't me. No oil on the ground but it is milky in the drive. I have not split the pod yet. The pinion bearings seems good. Blown water pump gasket? When I pulled the top cap the drive was low on oil and the billows with the drive shaft had an inch of non milky drive oil in it? WTF? Any suggestions?
Old 07-11-2012, 06:53 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like the upper shaft seal let go. Have the drive re-sealed and pressure tested.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:03 PM
Registered

Default cost

What would most marinas charge to do pinion seal replacement and all O rings in a alpha 1st gen?
Old 07-16-2012, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

look real close at the top cap where the large oring sits..if it looks coroaded then thats where the water is coming in..the water pump pumps water into the section thats rite behind that part of the drive their should be a plastic diverter in the hole as well..take a fine knife sharpening stone and block the whole area until it all looks smooth seal the oring with perfect seal and install the top cap and torque the bolts to 15 ft lbs..as for the oil in the bellows most likely a drive shaft yoke and seal,,the yoke gets seal cut and the oil goes around the seal into the bellows.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

the water pump is in the exhaust cavity. they deliberately put it seperate from upper and lower gear oil. the top front seal is only place gear oil can escape forward into bellows.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:08 PM
Registered

very stiff shift cable after reassembly. I take cable off of bracket and I can only get reverse and neutral. Any suggestions? Shift interrupt works , but do I need that to get into foreword? Everything seems real stiff compared to my bravo.

Last edited by hpy540; 07-19-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:31 AM
Registered

was cable stiff before? no? then you did something to make it stiff. pull drive and make sure bellcrank is lined up right. and see if cable is stiff with no drive on it. then shift drive with fingers and see if that is the problem. make sure shift foot on drive that slides into the shoe on gimball hsng is pointing forward in fwd and about 45 degrees off to left (port) in reverse.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:03 PM
Registered

nI should have listened to the owner better. He said it was stiff before and he wanted a new controller. The **** cable was kinked. I have new one installed already. Sifts very smoothly when off of shift plate. The controllers seem to only have enough throw to get Fwd. I can easily get reverse with cable off of shift plate. Could the gear selector next to the drivers seat be stripped? Unsure what to do next. I have read the 6a2r3.PDF but not have not gone thru it step by step. Any suggestions

this this had 4 problems, pinion seal tore. Cable was kinked. Seal on vertical shaft by exhaust cavity had 1 of the 2 lips gone so it was letting water in. No bearings scorned though. But I think the drivers controls are bad now....

can't get any movement when putting it in reverse. The guy told me it got stuck,jammed in gear when he brought it to me. I thought hard shifting like a bravo when it is on its way out or low on oil. I'm not used to working on alphas.

Last edited by hpy540; 07-20-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:09 PM
Registered

check at shifter for cable coming loose. will cost lost of travel. both cables (at motor) are on 1 pivot. 1 of them, i think the lower, has an adjustment up or down on the pivot that effects the amount of travel you get. i think you want it all the way up for the most travel. then it can be adjusted in or out to get both rev and fwd. it is possible you have cable adjusted to give excess travel towards forward and it won't come back enough to get reverse.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:02 PM
Registered

upper reverse cable outer shroud separated from crimp gromet. Looking for a whole assembly if any one has a used one. I split a hose and put a dozen hose clamps o. It to get him thru the weekend. I have three crushed vertebrae and this f#%^in thing almost killed me.