Notices

Help: Fuel pump install?

Old 07-21-2012, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: Fuel pump install?

Hey guys,

I just ordered a mercury replacement mechanical fuel pump for my 93 check convincor. Motor is a Gen 5 carbed 502. From what I gather the fuel pump is located on top of the sea water pump by the pulley on the front lower left of the block when looking at the motor from the bench seat in the boat. That being said I really need some help/advice/instruction/resources for the install. I am somewhat mechanically inclined but need a little guideance as I have never changed a fuel pump on a boat before.

If anyone could provide me with some insight or direction as how to go about this I would greately appreicate it. Also, I have found some information talking about changing the oil in the fuel pump? Could someone help explain this to me. I tried doing a bunch of searching on her but only found threads relating to changing fuel pumps from mechanical to electric.

Thanks a million,

Seth
Old 07-21-2012, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to pull the water pump. Note the hose location. You will see the oil drain an fill plug on the water pump. You should change Your water pump impeller while Your there. Artie