Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Hi-Perf 320 EFI- can I use the shift interrupter for alpha drive? >

Hi-Perf 320 EFI- can I use the shift interrupter for alpha drive?

Notices

Hi-Perf 320 EFI- can I use the shift interrupter for alpha drive?

Old 07-26-2012, 01:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hi-Perf 320 EFI- can I use the shift interrupter for alpha drive?

Howdy boys,

For reasons I won't go into, I'm replacing a Mercruiser MCM 260 (5.7) on an alpha drive with a Mercuiser Hi Performance 320 EFI. I know the alpha won't like the torque, but I'm just trying to get on the water and I won't be slamming the throttle or anything, so I'm not worried about that.

However, the alpha has an shift interrupter switch that interrupts the coil for the clutch in the alpha drive. If you know what I'm talking about, you know how it works, it just shuts off power to the + side of the coil. It's a carbureted engine.

The problem is that I'm putting in an EFI motor. I've done a lot of reading in the forums, and I've read all kinds of stuff about how to deal with this issue- stuff about repgramming chips, finding the 5vdc wire that drops a few cylinders, etc etc... none of it sounds like anything I want to mess with. And, none of it answered my one question - why can't I just do the same thing on an efi motor, interrupt the coil. From what I was reading, that sounded like a no-no. But I was talking to a mechanic today and he said it was no problem at all. Just interrupt the coil the same way it's done on the carbbed engine.

Does anyone know if this is a safe thing to do? Seems like it'd be fine, but I DO NOT want to harm the ECU in any way. This is a 1991 motor and that ECU can't be replaced. And it can't be modified either.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Stan
Old 07-26-2012, 01:28 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by svonmiller
Howdy boys,

For reasons I won't go into, I'm replacing a Mercruiser MCM 260 (5.7) on an alpha drive with a Mercuiser Hi Performance 320 EFI. I know the alpha won't like the torque, but I'm just trying to get on the water and I won't be slamming the throttle or anything, so I'm not worried about
that.

However, the alpha has an shift interrupter switch that interrupts the coil for the clutch in the alpha drive. If you know what I'm talking about, you know how it works, it just shuts off power to the + side of the coil. It's a carbureted engine.

The problem is that I'm putting in an EFI motor. I've done a lot of reading in the forums, and I've read all kinds of stuff about how to deal with this issue- stuff about repgramming chips, finding the 5vdc wire that drops a few cylinders, etc etc... none of it sounds like anything I want to mess with. And, none of it answered my one question - why can't I just do the same thing on an efi motor, interrupt the coil. From what I was reading, that sounded like a no-no. But I was talking to a mechanic today and he said it was no problem at all. Just interrupt the coil the same way it's done on the carbbed engine.

Does anyone know if this is a safe thing to do? Seems like it'd be fine, but I DO NOT want to harm the ECU in any way. This is a 1991 motor and that ECU can't be replaced. And it can't be modified either.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Stan
Stan,

I had twin 320 EFI'S in a 86 Formula 272 LS....Alpha SS drives. Alphas will live...with care.

Call Marc Berman with BAM in Pompano Beach...he will know and havepart recommendations.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:54 PM
Registered

You were right, he definitely knew a lot about it. His assessment is that it will probably work fine they way I want to do it.

Thanks for the info!
S
Old 07-26-2012, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're on the right track and it does work.

Last edited by tunertech; 07-26-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

BTW its the negitive side of the coil,it you do the positive side you will fry somthing...use the tach wire....
Old 07-26-2012, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
btw its the negitive side of the coil,it you do the positive side you will fry somthing...use the tach wire....
Old 07-26-2012, 06:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
BTW its the negitive side of the coil,it you do the positive side you will fry somthing...use the tach wire....
Yeah I wasn't thinking when I wrote that. I actually have a schematic for this ignition, which shows the white/green wire on the distributor is the one that gets grounded with the switch. I gather that's the tach wire.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:00 PM
Registered

If you need any spare parts I have 2 complete 320 efi intakes and computers that I took off my boat when I put 383s in
The following users liked this post:
articfriends (06-24-2023)
Old 07-27-2012, 11:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by andyt25
If you need any spare parts I have 2 complete 320 efi intakes and computers that I took off my boat when I put 383s in
Yeah I'd be interested in some backup parts. This is a 1991 model boat with 1989 engines (I think). How much are you thinking? Does yours looks like this?

Old 07-27-2012, 12:59 PM
Registered

Yeah mine are out of a 88 they look identical to what you have I'm thinking 500 for everything I'm pretty sure I still have the fuel pumps too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.