Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Anyone have bad gas causing problems? >

Anyone have bad gas causing problems?

Notices

Old 07-26-2012, 10:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have bad gas causing problems?

If anyone has read my posts I have been having alot of trouble with my motor it's been to the shop 4 times in the past two months for various issues that seem to keep popping up. I have it almost dialed in now I fixed the high idle problem, head has been repaired, new plugs, wires, dist cap. I just ran a diagnostic and no codes come up at all. It starts and idles fine but when I give it throttle it sputters really bad and only wants to slowly climb up in rpms. It sounds and feels like missfire. Could the gas be bad and cause this type of problem. I keep it at 1/4-1/2 full and after two seasons and 80 hours have never had issued with fuel.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:43 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

What motor?
You say you have a distributor? Just a guess but it sounds like the dist is not advancing like it should. Or if you have a carb it could be the accelerator pump. Again just guessing.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 368 Likes on 247 Posts

melted 2 496 pistons... apparently bad gas....
Old 07-27-2012, 06:23 AM
Registered

That's what I was thinkin'. Vaccuum Advance not working correctly. It doesn't even sound like it's hooked up?? You might consider who's putting a wrench on your rig too?? If you're at 80 hours and your problems have multiplied since the beginning of this season, might wanna check out a new mech. Try some good old fashioned Lucas Fuel Treatment or Gummout through your carb and pull the vaccuum advance line and check it for cracks or leaks.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:25 AM
Registered

Man That SUX!! What a pita! Sorry to hear about that brother.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

I do. I had spicy food for dinner last night and OH BOY!!!

Seriously, I was having similar symptons on one of my engines earlier in the season and was chasing timing advance related items, and it in fact turned out to be a clogged fuel injector. If you are scanning codes I am guessing you are EFI so it is something to consider?
Old 07-27-2012, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 570 Likes on 237 Posts

I had 30 gallons of gas that was 2 years old sitting in sealed jerry cans on a sailboat i take care of that was onboard for the dinghy outboard. Anyways i took it off the boat and tried to burn 5 gallons of it in my beater truck a 95 Ranger

The gas was so bad the truck would not run on it.i added 15 gallons of 93 octane still ran like crap. So i added a whole quart of Lucas octane booster for 25 gallons.

The motor ran like crap for a month and i added 5 more gallons of 93 when ever i burned 5 ;I went through 40 gallons of fuel until everylast drop was out of the tank before the motor cleared up.

The motor would ping so bad on acceleration i was afraid i was going to ruin it from detonation and than it would stumble and blow blue smoke going down the highway.

I learned a big lesson about todays old gas.

Throw it on the fire it breaks down too much;
Old 07-27-2012, 12:09 PM
Registered

I have the 6.2L MX MPI it does not have the vacuum advance on the distributor. There is a small stepped valve that looks like a hose would go on it unless that is supposed to have a hose on it and that could cause this problem. I used the little scan trick tunertech put on here it works great only problem is no codes come up so this is a deeper issue then a simple sensor. The motor only has 140 hours on it so i highly dought the injectors would be clogged. I dropped it back off at the shop this morning so I will just wait a little more to see what he says about it.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:38 PM
Registered

So how big a waste of money are Fuel Stabilizers?? I wouldn't think my problem would be as costly as others if I were to store the boat with 30 gallons of fuel as opposed to the volume of fuel most of you cats are filling. Just thinking it'd be safer to run the highest Octane Possible All The Time regardless. Of whether or not you can run on 87 or not??

Last edited by stickman811; 07-27-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:55 PM
Registered

@Bikerz.. Try putting your finger tip over the hole while it's idling. Bought and restored a 66 Plymouth Fury with a 318 that had confounded the owner and he finally gave up. About 5 yards of vaccuum hoses replaced and I drove it up onto the car hauler while the original owners heart broke. Vaccuum leaks where there Shouldn't be one..especially on a finicky computer controlled motor, is bound to cause trouble. Just a quick check trick to see if you've got an oe hose missing or disconnected.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.