Notices

Alpha wont slide in

Old 08-17-2012, 11:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpha wont slide in

I locked up my other outdrive. So I thought no problem, I'll have this done in an hour and back in the water.
The drive pulled out fine... I adjusted the mounts till the alignment bar slid in with my thumb... but I still cant get the new one to slide in all the way. I verified the shift parts are enguaged correctly, it is in foreward, and the shift cable is oriented correctly...

My two ideas are
1. take a few more hours to see if I can align it more and get the alignment bar to slide in smoother...

2. the o-rings on the gimble bearing are tight and I should start pushing with force.

Any help would be apppriciated..
Old 08-18-2012, 01:54 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by zerotact
I locked up my other outdrive. So I thought no problem, I'll have this done in an hour and back in the water.
The drive pulled out fine... I adjusted the mounts till the alignment bar slid in with my thumb... but I still cant get the new one to slide in all the way. I verified the shift parts are enguaged correctly, it is in foreward, and the shift cable is oriented correctly...

My two ideas are
1. take a few more hours to see if I can align it more and get the alignment bar to slide in smoother...

2. the o-rings on the gimble bearing are tight and I should start pushing with force.

Any help would be apppriciated..
make sure the shifting foot is lines up under the carrior assenbly..if you insralled new orings sometines it just needs a stiff kick to get it on..
Old 08-18-2012, 02:55 AM
Registered

Yea, all the shifting parts are engaged correctly... But will the O rings cause so much of a problem? Nest step is to slip the o rings off and to see if it slips in without them... then I'll know its ok to persuade the unit into place.

If not, does the engine alignment have to be dead nuts on or can it be 1/4 turn off one way or another?
Old 08-18-2012, 07:11 AM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Common problem the O rings have got it .Take a 2X4 put it on back of drive and hit with a hammer,once it starts you can pull it in with the stud nuts. JOHN SR
Old 08-18-2012, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Make sure the drive is in forward gear and put a prop on it...wiggle the prop back and forth while you put some a$$ behind it. It should slide home.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:11 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

It's already in far enough to know the shaft is in the coupler, just give it a good kick and then tighten up the nuts
Old 08-18-2012, 04:58 PM
Registered

I feel like a retard...
The outdrive I pulled out has an input shaft about 8" long from flange to end of splines. My spare drive I had rebuilt... 9.5 inches long..

DOH!!! I didnt know there were two different input shafts. Looks like tomorrow I will pop the u joints and swap the input shafts and hopefully be back in the water...

Old 08-18-2012, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

what is this, something old? they stopped using the long input with 165 hp chebby straight sixes!!!
Old 08-18-2012, 07:44 PM
Registered

alpha r-mr drives and gen 1 and up drives slightly different