Notices

engine hesitation

Old 08-29-2012, 12:33 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MT makes a good point. If it's been sitting in the water for the past month algae can scrub off serious speed. You have to realize that everything is different with every boat even boats that are supposed to be same size, power etc. The way you load gear, fuel, passengers, trim, wind, current and so on. You are also at the top of the range in boat length for a single engine boat making it harder for that single engine to overcome all those obsticles. It takes more than a second or two for the hull to displace the water BTW. The boat will handle differently with 4 people than it did with 2 and half fuel tanks as opposed to full, cooler full of bear and so on. A few hundred pounds in the boat can make a difference. Learning how to use trim tabs which I assume you have and drive trim can make a big difference. Theres no rules to it its all learn as you go and feel of the boat on any given day, it's always different and changing. Even changes like fuel quality if its been sitting for a month can make a difference. Proper maintainence, fuel, filters, oil ect are very important as is hull care, cleaning, wax, bottom paint needs to be fresh etc. Note, bottom paint can/will scrub off speed too but is needed if you leave the boat in the water.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

quote "The problem with all the advice so far is that last month it was not acting this way. "

If it was ok a month ago I would check with scan tool to see if you have 100% available power. If your wot rpm was down I would suggest checking fuel pressure, but you indicated it was close to 5000. Also keep in mind the quality of your fuel, you need to make sure its ethanol free, may have some water in fuel.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree check the bottom for scum barnicles, also check the bilge for water. Could be the warmer water/weather. could be you getting more used to the boat as well.

I put my tabs in the middle, drives all the way down, and roll slowly on the throttles. I see lots of guys hammering out of the hole, and it sometimes gets to me.....but I just pass them later.

Take your time, unless you don't want it to last
Old 08-29-2012, 01:40 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bsboss
quote "The problem with all the advice so far is that last month it was not acting this way. "

If it was ok a month ago I would check with scan tool to see if you have 100% available power. If your wot rpm was down I would suggest checking fuel pressure, but you indicated it was close to 5000. Also keep in mind the quality of your fuel, you need to make sure its ethanol free, may have some water in fuel.
He has the boat listed as a 1996 with a blue engine, he won;t be able to monitor anything with a scan tool
Old 08-29-2012, 03:46 PM
Registered

Guys lighten up on him! We've all had our first boat and been in his shoes. I'm sure he gets the point by now not to start full throttle out of the hole. I'm guessing your motor is carb? I have a 502 MPI and it started losing power out of the hole about 2 weeks ago and dropping a cylinder but it was intermittent. It would only do it under a load every now and then. I knew it was the #7 cylinder so I changed plug wire, plug, and the cap/rotor. Every time it was the same cylinder so I first isolated the ignition system to make sure the problem wasn't there. Then used a noid light to make sure the injector was getting pulse and it was. So I swapped out the injector and HOLY CRAP! It worked!! Start with the simple things first! Check fuel and spark! Good luck!
Old 08-29-2012, 05:46 PM
Registered

Yes i keep it in the water. I pulled it two weeks ago to clean it and wax the waterline. The only thing on the bottom is a little yellowing of the fiberglass. I'm not sure if that would really cause that much resistance. As for full throttle starts...I appreciate the advice. I had no clue and I will never do that again! I changed the fuel filter today, put in some marine stabil, and tomorrow changing the plugs. Hopefully that's the issue.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:53 PM
Registered

Yes it's the carbed. This is something that I will have to look into. It kind of does feel like a cylinder isn't firing correctly. I pulled one plug today to get the number off of it and noticed it was pretty wet and dark in color. From what I know this means it's running rich? It will be interesting to pull the rest tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Dirty_D
Guys lighten up on him! We've all had our first boat and been in his shoes. I'm sure he gets the point by now not to start full throttle out of the hole. I'm guessing your motor is carb? I have a 502 MPI and it started losing power out of the hole about 2 weeks ago and dropping a cylinder but it was intermittent. It would only do it under a load every now and then. I knew it was the #7 cylinder so I changed plug wire, plug, and the cap/rotor. Every time it was the same cylinder so I first isolated the ignition system to make sure the problem wasn't there. Then used a noid light to make sure the injector was getting pulse and it was. So I swapped out the injector and HOLY CRAP! It worked!! Start with the simple things first! Check fuel and spark! Good luck!
Old 08-30-2012, 12:06 PM
Registered

Probably wouldn't hurt to change all the plugs also pull the distributor cap and look at it and the button. Yes dark/black and wet is rich and white or gray is lean. They should all have a nice brown/tan color if firing correctly. Isolate which cylinider it is first, you can do this by feeling your headers right at the block when it is missing. The dead hole will be significantly cooler than the rest. Once you figure it out, swap a plug wire of equal length with another cylinder. If it jumps to that cylinder then it is the wire, if not then check to see if you have spark in that cylinder with a spark tester or pull the plug connect the wire and using insulated wires and a leather glove hold it against the block while someone cranks the motor and watch for spark at the plug. If you have fuel there then it is a spark issue could be wire, rotor, or in the timing? GOOD LUCK!!
Old 08-30-2012, 07:10 PM
Registered
VIP Member

And the proper way for starting......

Roll the throttle forward about 20% (18-1900) and then slowly but constantly push to wot....or just under....as the deadrise calms down and you begin to get a better view ahead, pull back on your throttle and settle in at your desired speed."...or around 3k depending on your setup. It is ok to push the throttle forward at this time.....if you want more speed.....

It is very smooth and rhythmic going from dead to on plane and beyond. Feel your baby....listen to her....she will tell you if she needs more to stay on top....and as said before, it changes with temp, wind, load....and so much more....but she will always say it in the same tone.

I personally tuck my drives to get up. It is easier and faster if you trim, but then you have limited view at an exaggerated level...deadrise. You can try both.....tucked and slightly trimmed....but do this practice away from other boats. You will see that at times, full load of fuel, several guests, cooler....she won't want to go like you are used to.....and trim is almost a requirement. Learn how she reacts, and use it. A cigarette lighter in a car is useless for a nonsmoker, but the trim is there for a reason.

Again....spend some alone (only you) time with her. You can make errors without the mouthpiece heightening the stress. And you can really get to know her....and all of her flaws.

When on plane, tuck the drive if it is not already. With the drive in (all the way down) listen to her. Note the rpms, and note the speed.

Now, tap the(trim) up on your throttle......but only a tap. Again, note her tone....speed and rpms.....you should see a minor change in all. Minimal speed increase, minimal rpm change and tone change.

Tap it again.....and note the changes...and then again......and again...

You will notice that without any change to the throttle, she is more responsive at the helm and running a couple to several mph faster.

There is a point where one tap is too much.....and you'll know it because the boat will porpoise.....but don't overreact....just give it at tap back in (down) and gradually turn to port and back to stbd. This should calm her down....but if not, another small tap in.

Get to know your girl.....and there is no "blueprint" to follow. Not only will it be different every time, but it will change throughout each outing. It's part of the man vs machine that makes boating so satisfying.

Here are a few other pointers.....

When crossing,(when your bow intersects with a wake from another vessel) think about the boat that just passed you going in the other direction. If it is bigger, or similar in size but plowing, slow down. You will be safer and drier.

If it is of similar displacement and on plane, then cross at speed.

Heres how....

As you approach the passing vessels wake, turn into it to meet it head on. Just as you take the first ridge, cut your wheel back in the direction you were originally headed. This will take most of the bang out of crossing....keep you safe, a kill the impact of taking it head on.

Here's another tip.....

If a vessel is approaching you from stbd, give way. This rule of the road was created because you (typically) have unimpeded view of them, but they (typically) do not have the same.

Two more...then I'll quit for now....but happy to give more if wanted...

A mast on a boat does not make it a sail boat. Blow boaters don't agree.....they think their lead keels should immediately grant them the right of way. If there is no sheet in the sky, then it is a matter of length....period.

Last one.....for now.....(as if the last one won't get some panties ruffled)

Jet skis suck. I have several....so I am not included....but that is because of the things I have done and witnessed.

They love to chase and jump your wake.....and then.....crash. So, if they do that with the boat you are trailing, now you need to react to prevent their death.....

If it is your wake, you find it is quite amusing to see them flying off your wake.....until they crash. Suddenly, you are thinking of their safety....and can put yourself in hams way. If they chase you, wave them off. If they refuse, slow down and wait for them to go away. They will soon become a liability for another unknowing boater..

Hit me with a request....I'll put it up

Last edited by commandersander; 08-30-2012 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Fat fingers
Old 08-30-2012, 08:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by commandersander
And the proper way for starting......

Roll the throttle forward about 20% (18-1900) and then slowly but constantly push to wot....or just under....as the deadrise calms down and you begin to get a better view ahead, pull back on your throttle and settle in at your desired speed."...or around 3k depending on your setup. It is ok to push the throttle forward at this time.....if you want more speed.....

It is very smooth and rhythmic going from dead to on plane and beyond. Feel your baby....listen to her....she will tell you if she needs more to stay on top....and as said before, it changes with temp, wind, load....and so much more....but she will always say it in the same tone.

I personally tuck my drives to get up. It is easier and faster if you trim, but then you have limited view at an exaggerated level...deadrise. You can try both.....tucked and slightly trimmed....but do this practice away from other boats. You will see that at times, full load of fuel, several guests, cooler....she won't want to go like you are used to.....and trim is almost a requirement. Learn how she reacts, and use it. A cigarette lighter in a car is useless for a nonsmoker, but the trim is there for a reason.

Again....spend some alone (only you) time with her. You can make errors without the mouthpiece heightening the stress. And you can really get to know her....and all of her flaws.

When on plane, tuck the drive if it is not already. With the drive in (all the way down) listen to her. Note the rpms, and note the speed.

Now, tap the(trim) up on your throttle......but only a tap. Again, note her tone....speed and rpms.....you should see a minor change in all. Minimal speed increase, minimal rpm change and tone change.

Tap it again.....and note the changes...and then again......and again...

You will notice that without any change to the throttle, she is more responsive at the helm and running a couple to several mph faster.

There is a point where one tap is too much.....and you'll know it because the boat will porpoise.....but don't overreact....just give it at tap back in (down) and gradually turn to port and back to stbd. This should calm her down....but if not, another small tap in.

Get to know your girl.....and there is no "blueprint" to follow. Not only will it be different every time, but it will change throughout each outing. It's part of the man vs machine that makes boating so satisfying.
That was beautiful! Like a romance novel for boat enthusiast!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.