Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
trailer storage,what would you do? >

trailer storage,what would you do?

Notices

trailer storage,what would you do?

Old 09-06-2012, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Question trailer storage,what would you do?

marina charges $350.00 per year to store trailer outside.i have been paying this for the past 10 years .i have not used the trailer one time,and from sitting outside the trailer now needs to be reconditioned.for some reason i thing that i need to keep the trailer(not sure why since i have not never used)would you keep on paying the storage fee or should i sell trailer,and if for some reason i need a trailer,can purchase a new one.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:21 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Location

Where are you located? In a hurricane area? Inland lake? You have spent 3500, how much would a cheap trailer cost if you needed one. How fast can you get one if needed? How much to repair your current trailer? How much is your current trailer worth after or before repairs? Just some thoughts to mull over.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i guess you don't wanna take it home and have it in your back yard...
Old 09-07-2012, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know as soon as you sell it, you're gonna need it. Maybe you need to find a different place to keep it.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

10 years and never used the trailer? What size of boat? Location?

How do you get service work done on the boat? Most marinas I am familiar with charge a premium to pull a boat on thier trailer. I would pay the slightly higher marina price just for the convience that if there was an emergency issue with the boat; the trailer at the marina ready for use.

You have owned the boat 10 years, congrats but a longish time, do you have any intentions on selling in the future, depending on size, could make a difference on saleability.

Are you looking at more than repack bearings, new tires, bunks and recovery strap?

It is standard practice around here, marinas dont charge trailer storage for an annual slipped boat. They just drag it a half mile away to the "bone yard". Guess I will not take that for granted in the future.