Finally pulling the trigger

Notices

Finally pulling the trigger

Old 10-25-2012, 02:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Test fitting the exhaust, looks pretty nice! Looks like I will have to do something with the shifter bracket but it wouldnt be a project if it came with instructions. Lol. Randy
Attached Thumbnails Finally pulling the trigger-001.jpg   Finally pulling the trigger-002.jpg   Finally pulling the trigger-020.jpg  

Finally pulling the trigger-018.jpg  
Old 11-15-2012, 08:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

New bilge pumps, fuel filters, drive reservoirs, battery charger, depth sounder, solid mounts, gimble bearings, scrubbed & painted, bling lights. I think I am ready to mount some engines. Randy
Attached Thumbnails Finally pulling the trigger-011.jpg   Finally pulling the trigger-012.jpg   Finally pulling the trigger-002.jpg  

Finally pulling the trigger-003.jpg   Finally pulling the trigger-004.jpg   Finally pulling the trigger-001.jpg  

Old 11-16-2012, 01:43 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy Nielsen
Test fitting the exhaust, looks pretty nice! Looks like I will have to do something with the shifter bracket but it wouldnt be a project if it came with instructions. Lol. Randy
Your shift linkage assembly should bolt right up to that plate. Its is identical mine and the plate is tapped where it needs to be.
Attached Thumbnails Finally pulling the trigger-p1010028-large-.jpg  
Old 11-16-2012, 10:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Default Shift bracket

The problem is that the bracket is too close to the breather, If I redrill the bracket to move it back a couple of inches that might do it or just make a new bracket altogether. Randy
Attached Thumbnails Finally pulling the trigger-011.jpg   Finally pulling the trigger-018.jpg  
Old 11-16-2012, 10:48 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts
The problem is that the bracket is too close to the breather, If I redrill the bracket to move it back a couple of inches that might do it or just make a new bracket altogether. Randy
Why not just mount the shift assembly under your engine on the stringer , that's where mine is . Makes for a cleaner looking engine , gets rid of some spagett . By the way , really looking good Randy . Nice work !

Last edited by the deep; 11-16-2012 at 10:56 PM. Reason: On second thought .
Old 11-17-2012, 08:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

1 down lookin good!

Got 1 engine bolted in so now I can finish mocking up where I want things to be. I cant believe how much room there is compared to the 496's. I might take the deeps suggestion to mount the shifters on the stringers if I cant make up something to make use of the mounts that I paid extra for. Randy
Attached Thumbnails Finally pulling the trigger-086.jpg   Finally pulling the trigger-087.jpg   Finally pulling the trigger-003.jpg  

Finally pulling the trigger-004.jpg   Finally pulling the trigger-005.jpg   Finally pulling the trigger-002.jpg  

Old 11-18-2012, 07:10 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree - huge difference.
Keep the photos coming.
Good luck with he build.
Remember to post the before & after results after you get her dialled back in again.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:52 AM
Registered

New bilge pumps, fuel filters, drive reservoirs, battery charger, depth sounder, solid mounts, gimble bearings, scrubbed & painted, bling lights. I think I am ready to mount some engines. Randy
If they don't have them already I would put gussets on the engine mounting plates, for the simple fact that the weight of the engines will bend those mounting plates!! You could also box in the end of the mounts... I know for a fact they will bend, been there done that!!!
Old 11-18-2012, 10:56 AM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by fleg1
If they don't have them already I would put gussets on the engine mounting plates, for the simple fact that the weight of the engines will bend those mounting plates!! You could also box in the end of the mounts... I know for a fact they will bend, been there done that!!!
Gill Offshore Cradles = Ties the stringers together with steel and will not allow any flexing , bending or breaking due to horsepower or rough conditions . Cheap peace of mind . Not criticizing , just an honest suggestion . Peace out , deep
Old 11-18-2012, 02:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Earlier in this thread I posted some pics of the loose mounts I found when I pulled the 496's. The engines bounced around enough to pull the exhaust apart, I thought the mounts were bent from that but they weren't. The mount bolts were stretched & bent but not the mounts, I redrilled the mounts & stringers to use 1/2 inch bolts instead of 3/8 & double nutted the bolts to make sure they won't loosen up. I will look into gusseting these mounts as I don't feel real confident about re engineering the mount system the boat came with. Don't worry about criticizing I see that as an opportunity to learn as a lot of you have more experience at this stuff than I do. Keep the suggestions coming. Randy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.