2000 7.4 MPI mercruiser bluewater runs then stalls repeatably >

2000 7.4 MPI mercruiser bluewater runs then stalls repeatably

Notices

2000 7.4 MPI mercruiser bluewater runs then stalls repeatably

Old 09-28-2012, 01:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 7.4 MPI mercruiser bluewater runs then stalls repeatably

I have a freshly rebuilt 2000 7.4 MPI wich ran hot and lost oil prressue that is why it was rebuilt. Now since rebuild I started it on the hose and it ran perfectly fine, then I took it out for a sea trail and as soon as I hit plane it stalled. I restarted it no problem and shortly there after it stalled again ( as if some one shut the key off) then I noticed that I could not hear the fuel pump cycle as you turn the key on. Sometimes the pump came on sometimes it did not. Got back to the dock on the other engine and tried to figure something out and the problem continued to get worse, first no fire then no fuel pump, and finnaly no start at the starter. I took the boat home in disgust and waited till the next day to try to figure out what went worng, and the boat strarted right up and ran fine for about and hour at idle. Then it started all over again stalling repeatably, fuel pump works off and on, and starter ground goes out. I visually checked all gounds and they look good electrical seems strong and I never loose power to the gauges. I replaced the safety landyand and by passed the netural safety switch. No wires seem to be getting hot. I am tempted to take it to a mechanic but don't want someone spending 3 days at $110 an hour replacing things until it works. I live in the Fort Myers, FL area can some one send me to a decent mechanic that has knowledge in the area of expertise? thanks for reading
Old 07-13-2014, 01:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a similar problem with my 98' 7.4mpi. Checking to see if you solved it. I have replaced the IAC and Fuel pump already
Thanks