Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
sporadic oil in water problem, sbc, rebuilt motors >

sporadic oil in water problem, sbc, rebuilt motors

Notices

sporadic oil in water problem, sbc, rebuilt motors

Old 11-19-2012, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, after 60 hours with the motor full of water and 14 to 15 psi sitting on it, nothing has come out. so the possibilities are:

A: Head bolts not sealed, leak once heated. remove - seal - replace one at a time.
B: Intake gasket fails once heated up. Replace gasket.
C: Exhaust manifolds or risers cracked or failed at gasket. Replace with new components and new gaskets.

If there is one thing I hate, it is admitting that I am wrong. You think I would be used to it with my track record and being married for 18 years. Heck, I am surprised I can remember what it is like to be right! But here it is:

Option C is at least one of the problems. We pulled the risers and this is what we saw. Center valleys on the left side and the front valley on the right side. So we will look further, but I suspect new manifolds and risers are in my future. What the heck, I have replaced most of the boat so far anyway, guess I should do the manifolds also.

Brian

Old 11-20-2012, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had an issue with my 85 ChrisCraft Stinger 260. It did not have the proper risers and took in water at idle. When I replaced the risers with the proper ones (pipe within the pipe) no more problems. Chris Craft picked up the tab for all of the replacement parts and the repairs. I would recommend pulling the motors. I just replaced the risers and did a valve job. BIG mistake. The bottom end puked on one engine within 40 hours.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wes, I may have the same problem you had. The risers and manifolds look really good, but two things are suspect. Looks like I had a leak on one side due to the gasket between the riser and manifold. The other item is I have different risers on the two motors. The port motor with no water problems, has the 3" risers with the tube inside the outlet. The starboard motor has GLM risers which do not have a seperating tube where the water dumps in, it just dumps directly into the exhaust stream. So maybe a problem with reversion at idle? Who knows, but I will definately look at new risers and just go with the 4" outlet ones.

Oh, also getting new bearings for the crank and rods. rods all look fine, nothing looks out of place. Time to go spend some money....

Brian