Power Steering actuator removal >

Power Steering actuator removal

Notices

Power Steering actuator removal

Old 11-29-2012, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Power Steering actuator removal

I have a 79 Formula that leaks power steering fluid out of the actuator. In 4 hours of running I leaked a quart of fluid into the bilge. I want to replace it but I cant figure out how to remove it. Whats the trick?
Old 11-29-2012, 11:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's easier than it looks, remove the p/s lines, remove the pin to the steering arm that goes through the transom, remove the nut & bolt from the steering cable & unscrew the cable from the actuator, loosen the upper & lower pivot bolts on the transom plate ( the big ones with lock washers) & the actuator should come right out & slide off of the cable. Hope that helps, Randy
Old 11-30-2012, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You may have to get creative on getting the large bolts out that mount it to the transom assembly, especially the one on the bottom. They are on there TIGHT, and they can be a biotch to break loose. I had to use a stubby box end wrench and hold a large pipe against the end of it while a friend whacked on the pipe with a big hammer to break it loose. There is not a lot of room between the bolt and the back of the block.

I went through all that hell replacing mine, only to find a small cut in the high pressure line that may have been responsible for the leak. I found this only AFTER I had the new one mounted and hooked up, so I don't even know if my original was bad. Check the lines very carefully to make sure that is not the source of your leak. It looked for all the world that mine was leaking from the actuator, but now I am not so sure.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:53 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Just remember the new style actuator has different hose fittings connecting to the high and low psi lines. I could not find a good way to convert those to the old hoses so I had to buy new hoses from merc
Old 11-30-2012, 01:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Once you have it off, take it a hydraulic hose shop and they can probably replace the seal in it for less than buying a new actuator.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:44 PM
Registered

Is there only one seal? I cant see exactly where its leaking but I know its the actuator and not the lines.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by looseconnection
Just remember the new style actuator has different hose fittings connecting to the high and low psi lines. I could not find a good way to convert those to the old hoses so I had to buy new hoses from merc
I was gonna post the same thing, there are adapters available, just hard to find on a sat afternoon.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:09 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
I was gonna post the same thing, there are adapters available, just hard to find on a sat afternoon.
Yea, I ordered some earls fittings to do it based on info I found off the net, no workie, local hydraulic shops were bambozzeled when I asked for sae to metric conversions.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you are far better replacing with the late model one, not that $$ plenty new ones on ebay, if you P/S does not have O-ring fitting just change that 1" wrench, no big deal..also if you have the old style pre 1990 the new style piece is smaller and does away with the other 2 lines as well that run to the cylinder that goes away as well
Old 12-02-2012, 05:21 PM
Registered

whats the difference between an early and late model one besides the fittings?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.