AFR gauges o2 bungs location >

AFR gauges o2 bungs location

Notices

AFR gauges o2 bungs location

Old 12-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 4,314 Likes on 1,241 Posts
Question AFR gauges o2 bungs location

Do you guys think I could put O2 bungs in the collector? The thinking was they that being short, reversion could kill the O2 sensor.
I would so love to put some AFR gauges in

Old 12-26-2012, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

While it would be nice to add them, on that setup though, probably not worth it. You need it behind the collectors, actually in the tailpipe. It'll be so close to the back, the 02's will probably get wet.

Now, If you wanted, I think innovate makes a 02 clamp. You'd have to remove the muffler, and clamp it into the tail pipe. Theres a way we can make it work temporarily that way, just to check afr with my portable wideband. The key is just cant get the 02 wet. We'd maybe have to extend the stingers (water dumps) from the stellings tails with a temporary hose or tube, to keep water spraying away from the opening of the exhaust tube. What I am thinking, is a self soldering copper plumbing elbow. You attach it to the stinger, and heat it up. It will solder on to the stinger, and direct water away. After running it, desolder the elbows and remove. Reinstall mufflers.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:21 AM
Registered

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/x...roductid=16141
Old 12-26-2012, 01:59 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bung install

It will take a little work but is possible to install. install at 10 to 2 position. You shouldn't have an issues with whacking the sensor unless you have a radical cam profile, then you should probably run dry tails anyway.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tunertech
It will take a little work but is possible to install. install at 10 to 2 position. You shouldn't have an issues with whacking the sensor unless you have a radical cam profile, then you should probably run dry tails anyway.
He does have dry tails now. I think he was looking to permanent mount sensors. I doubt they will last that close to the transom, the way his tails exit the water. The stellings tails use a 3/4'' dump at the very end of the tail. Then his mufflers slide over the tails. While idling around with his blown 540's, I'll bet there will be some water getting slung around inside the end of the pipe with the reversion effect.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:09 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
He does have dry tails now. I think he was looking to permanent mount sensors. I doubt they will last that close to the transom, the way his tails exit the water. The stellings tails use a 3/4'' dump at the very end of the tail. Then his mufflers slide over the tails. While idling around with his blown 540's, I'll bet there will be some water getting slung around inside the end of the pipe with the reversion effect.
I was actually looking at the collector. There's room to work with and you'll get as good a reading there as you will get at the end or in the tails (probably better)... don't you think.. I've setup multiples this way and it worked great.. of course it is permanent plus you don't want excessive EGT

Last edited by tunertech; 12-26-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 4,314 Likes on 1,241 Posts

I guess I could weld em in and test to see if I get water at that point.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Registered

I don't know how much room there is inside the collector area, to get a true reading. All 4 Tubes obviously meet right there. The gas tube say from the #1 or #3 cylinder (depending on where you mount the sensor), will be blowing right on the sensor, from probably 1" away from the end of the tube on these stellings. . I was always told to take reading downstream a bit from the collector, so that you get a average of all 4 cylinders.

On mine, my 02 bung is pretty much next to where his water inlet is in his tails. About 5-6" behind collector, 2 oclock position. However, my Collectors are quite a bit further from the transom with my "Green" headers.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

joe,i think it will be ok in the tailpipe,close to the collector
Old 12-26-2012, 08:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
joe,i think it will be ok in the tailpipe,close to the collector
I'd rather try them there myself. Rather than welding on the headers.

What Dan (ICDEDPPL) want to do is run full time AFR gauges on the dash. So the sensors will be there all the time.

I know many times in my boat well at idle out on the lake in 3-4's, my tails are getting submerged, splashed, all kinds of water up in them. A little zap of water on those 02's and their junk. I think this is why the previous owner opted not to install them.

With that being said, its worth a try. My guy will weld the bungs in the tails on the cheap for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.