Question on trailer brake conversion >

Question on trailer brake conversion

Notices

Question on trailer brake conversion

Old 02-11-2013, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname
Just a FYI. Not sure what you are using for a tow vehicle but you may want to check out its breaks also.
I have hydraulic drum breaks on my Nova 24's trailer that I got the whole set up from the trailer parts super store. http://www.easternmarine.com/ But ......., I also upgraded my trucks breaks pads and added drilled / slotted disc rotorers for heat. Try finding slotted disc's for a Chevy van. lol. My truck now will stop on a dime without breaks on the trailer (I've got a couple other boat trailers, not as big that don't have breaks at all). They are so good you have to be careful when not towing cause they will throw you through the windshield if you stomp on them.
Don't depend on trailer breaks alone. Even the best trailer set up is still going to push your truck in a hard stop and most vehicle brake bias are already 75 front 25 rear. Thats an insane amount force on the front brakes and a stock set up is not up to the task.
Thats a good point. I know a lot of guys think trailer are brakes are meant to stop you, but in reality its your truck and how you drive, the second being key as it dont matter what you have if your going to fast or out of control your done.

My truck is 18 months old with 18k on it, so brakes are fine. Trailer brakes work ok, its just time to replace them with something easier to work on.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:58 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname
Don't depend on trailer breaks alone. Even the best trailer set up is still going to push your truck in a hard stop .......
Nope! EOH can be set so your trailer will stop your truck

When setup correctly, your truck won't even know there's a trailer behind it when stopping under every condition. Best thing since sliced bread
Old 02-13-2013, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

several ways to skin a cat. drums with upkeep work fine. disc w/surge work great. I just built a 34 gooseneck 2 car trailer with disc and a dexter k 650 00 electric/hydro actuator. with 2 cars on the trailer it will out stop my superduty unloaded. I tow with it weekly and changing a set of pads is better for me than dealing with drum's shoes. It may all depend on the amount of miles you put on your trailer.

trailer brakes do not have to work OK, they CAN work very well it just depends on your setup

Last edited by 1fastlx; 02-13-2013 at 09:59 PM. Reason: just a thought
Old 02-14-2013, 11:53 AM
Registered

I tow weekly but enough to make getting disc necessarily. But I need to replace one side and my as well do the others and for a few extra bucks makes it easier to maintain.

Anybody switch over was it hard to do any good websites.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:42 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

http://championtrailers.com/techsup.html has a fair amount of info to share.

When I overhauled my Rocket trailer, I bought many of the parts from them. I bought my brakes direct from Kodiak.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:44 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by soldier4402
I tow weekly but enough to make getting disc necessarily. But I need to replace one side and my as well do the others and for a few extra bucks makes it easier to maintain.

Anybody switch over was it hard to do any good websites.
It is so easy a caveman could do it ! Just don't try and rush the job and pay attention to the details . My Kodiak kits had detailed instructions with them . I also changed over to DOT 5 brake fluid because it attracts O moisture . Lots of info here and also where i purchased mine : http://www.easternmarine.com/em_stor...rakes_hyd.html

Last edited by the deep; 02-14-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I say go eoh disc. That's what I'm doing when I get back around to trailer
Old 02-14-2013, 01:33 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts
Default You Tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1i4rDFXVe0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKyTNJUs_fs

http://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-t...k-k2hr35d.aspx

This should get you started.

EOH are awesome, did mine last April.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:10 PM
Registered

thanks guys looks to be simple bolt on. EOH sounds nice but surge works fine and dont really want to spend the dough on something I dont need right now. Plus the boat I have I dont know the time frame I am going to be owning anymore. Its a 91 but is like new and realistically could keep it another 10 years but probably not realuty
Old 02-18-2013, 02:22 PM
Registered

Received 4,255 Likes on 1,226 Posts
Talking

Cute pu$$y you got there DEEP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.