Question on trailer brake conversion

Old 02-18-2013, 07:38 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Cute pu$$y you got there DEEP
I surely do like the feline perswaysion in any and all forms . Thanks dude .
Old 02-23-2013, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tie Down engineering uses dogs in their kits. The last Kodiac kit I installed the cat didn't make it a full season
Old 02-23-2013, 03:14 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Wink

Originally Posted by speedjunky 123
Tie Down engineering uses dogs in their kits. The last Kodiac kit I installed the cat didn't make it a full season
Their best kits come with cats . The cheaper Kodiac kits come with dogs and last accordingly . They have a kit for everyone's wallet . Sorry you had bad luck with yours .
Old 02-23-2013, 03:56 PM
Registered

Sorry, cabin fever is settling in
Old 02-23-2013, 06:29 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Originally Posted by speedjunky 123
Sorry, cabin fever is settling in
We're all there with you . I really miss the sun .
Old 05-07-2013, 07:01 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ok got the kodiak kit and it was pretty straight forward, instructions suck, they dont even come with them, had to print. But either way pretty simple.

But one issue. The metal brake lines come from the acuator all the way to the axle where it meets a rubber brake line about 12inches long, the end that goes into the old drum or now the caliper is a male end. The caliper hole looks to be about 3/8, the male end on the rubber hose starts at 3/8 for like the first 1/8 of an inche its smooth, then turns into threads and widens out and does not fit in the hole.

I called etrailer to see if they have brakes lines in the rubber that would fit, they seemed confused. Tonight heading to napa to see if they have an adapter that will fit the old male end of the rubber hose into the caliper.

The trailer is a 91, and it seems they used a bigger male end on the rubber tube that went into the drum, then what needs to go into caliper. Any advice, anybody know what im talking about
Old 05-08-2013, 09:14 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Something to check into, if you are using your old DRUM brake surge tongue, the master cylinder is different, I believe it's all about the residual line pressure, when we used a drum brake master cyl at work for a disk brake set up, we would have to take the master cyl apart and knock out a disc inside it, otherwise your discs would "drag" more. Just a bit of info if nothing else check into it or maybe someone will chime in and confirm this.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:17 AM
Registered

yeah i have read that if you have drums a seal needs to be punctured or something. Thanks I will check that.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:57 AM
Registered

ok got the brake lines figured.

Now what exactly has to be punctured and where? Im guessing the end that points towards the rear. kodiak says its diaphram. try to see what exactly I am looking for.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:15 AM
Registered

If you are re-using your drum brake master cylinder you have to pull the residual valve out of the master cylinder.

Depends on who manufactured your surge actuator how to go about doing it. But usually it's just a matter of draining the master cylinder, pulling out the piston and removing the residual valve. Reassemble. Pretty simple.

For example:

http://www.championtrailers.com/remo...dual_valve.htm

You also need a reverse lock out solenoid for disc brakes if you didn't already have one. Drums will slip in reverse, discs will not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.