Notices

Fuel Tank Leak???

Old 01-30-2013, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Tank Leak???

So I have the motor out of boat for rebuild and found gas in bilge. Cleaned it up and went back in about 3 weeks later and another puddle of gas in bilge. Set up a test rig, blocked off fill and vent tube at the tank and threaded line into pick up hole with tee gauge valve. Was putting air into tank and when it got to 1psi there was a lot of creaking from the tank expanding so I bailed out. I guess my question is would there be any type of check ball or something in fill tube? Also did I set up my test correctly? I think the tank is leaking for sure because even at that 1lb. When I closed the valve it lost pressure pretty quickly. Going to check all my connections with soapy water for leaks so I can rule that out. Should I try to get the air in quicker to get to the 3-4psi test pressure? Started out with a air brush compressor and then got out my big compressor and set pressure to 20lbs. for filling but like I said I stopped at 1psi.

Thanks for any input in advance.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:58 AM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There should be an anti siphon valve on the supply line. Do not use any more than like 3 PSI to test the tank. There are very few reasons to have fuel in the bilge. If you have not spilled any, have a leaking hose(fill,vent or supply) or the sending unit gasket has failed, you have a bad tank.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:58 AM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

Also a vacuum test would work as well.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

An emissions smoke machine for evaporative emission systems works well also
Old 01-31-2013, 10:47 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by mrv8outboard
There should be an anti siphon valve on the supply line. Do not use any more than like 3 PSI to test the tank. There are very few reasons to have fuel in the bilge. If you have not spilled any, have a leaking hose(fill,vent or supply) or the sending unit gasket has failed, you have a bad tank.

I should be able to pump my air into the tank tho correct? The anti sipgon line would be on the supply line and not the tank itself?
Old 02-01-2013, 08:31 AM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

It is usually the barbed nipple fitting at the 90* fitting on the siphon tube.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Finding gas in the bilge. Start thinking about a new tank.
All the sending units and fills and such are in the top of the tank. Unless you have it's super full and its been hot out these things will not leak.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks everyone for all the responses. I guess I've been in leaky tank denial. Lol.. It looks like I will pull the bolsters and the back seat and pull up the carpet. Maybe there will be a panel over the tank but I doubt it being a 1990 boat. Any tips anyone can give to make this project as painless as possible?
Old 02-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Scott:

Let a qualified boat yard do the tank repair/replacment. It all depends what kind of tank (alum, galv. steel, fiberglass, etc) you have. This is nothing to fool with. Knowing how to repair the bedding that holds the tank properly and glassing it in is tricky if you do not do this work normally.

Wannabe
Old 02-01-2013, 08:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by wannabe
Scott:

Let a qualified boat yard do the tank repair/replacment. It all depends what kind of tank (alum, galv. steel, fiberglass, etc) you have. This is nothing to fool with. Knowing how to repair the bedding that holds the tank properly and glassing it in is tricky if you do not do this work normally.

Wannabe
Thanks for the advice wannabe but the tank is 23yrs. old as well as the boat and I am replacing with new tank and going to tackle this project myself. Have a good idea on the project. Just looking for some tips on things to make the job easier, if there is a easy way to do this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.