454 330 turned into 496 stroker >

454 330 turned into 496 stroker

Notices

454 330 turned into 496 stroker

Old 02-17-2013, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
just about the single cheapest part you are using is the block. find another one. one that spent it's life being cooled by anti-freeze instead of salt water.
I agree. I paid 300 bucks for a mint used std bore 4 bolt mark iv 454 block. It was used in a car. The insides of the water jackets were like new. Vs a old marine block that you turn upside on the stand and tap the block with a hammer and piles of rust fall out.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Thebossbultsma
well these heads are oval port with sumit racing stamped right in them. there pretty much identical to the dart cast heads and ill have less than a 1000 in the heads all set up i paid 600 for the heads and 75 for crane gold rockers the only thing i need for them yet is valves and springs the heads will be good to go

picked up a lot of my parts at a swap meet up here
I know summit sells a 308CC iron rect port head. Basically the 308 Dart Iron Eagle under summits name for a few bucks less. Maybe years back they used a oval port.

Any idea what CC these oval ports you have are?

Be sure to check the trunnions of the crane rockers. I have had a few crack at the trunnions. Split right in half. Granted they were from the 80's and had served their cycle duty and then some.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dart New Blem Iron Eagle Big Block Chevrolet 308cc Intake, Cast Iron Cylinder Heads with 121cc Combustion Chambers.

Cut for 2.250 / 1.880 valves.

thats what heads they are. the rockers i have look to be in good condtions. the thing im trying to figure out is what kinda of cam would work best for me sitiuatuion. also my buddy that is helping me out wants me to go to efi on this motor vrs carb and thoughts
Old 02-17-2013, 11:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Thebossbultsma
Dart New Blem Iron Eagle Big Block Chevrolet 308cc Intake, Cast Iron Cylinder Heads with 121cc Combustion Chambers.

Cut for 2.250 / 1.880 valves.

thats what heads they are. the rockers i have look to be in good condtions. the thing im trying to figure out is what kinda of cam would work best for me sitiuatuion. also my buddy that is helping me out wants me to go to efi on this motor vrs carb and thoughts
Well then those should be rect port heads, not ovals.

What exhaust will you be running? That is important with cam choice. Are you gonna go with a roller cam or flat tappet? EFI can be nice, carb is much cheaper, and pretty simple.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:33 AM
Registered

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-152125/

Those should be the heads you have.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

yes those are my bad i ment to say rec port and yesi would like to run exhasut for the right price im trying to keep a low budget and do as much as i can myself. so exhasut i was just thinking somthingc cheap to get me started

carb is what i want to do just cuz om staying low budget but he thinks spend the money and do it right would be better and would pay off
Old 02-17-2013, 06:06 PM
Registered

Well, the stock mercury cast iron stuff begins to hinder performance around 350HP. At 400HP, a aftermarket good set of manifolds will show some gains. Definitly worthwhile at 500HP and up.

Plus with stock exhaust you need to be very conservative on cam choice, because of water reversion. Too much overlap and you'll suck water right into the cylinder thru the exhaust valve.

I wouldn't call going EFI "doing it right" and carb "doing it wrong". Plenty of guys running carbs on anything from 300HP to 1300HP.

All I can suggest for now, is to really think about what you wanna do. If you wanna do it right, and not cut corners, don't slap a bunch of used parts together and hope for the best. Your original estimate of having 3G into this 496 Stroker is just not accurate. You may jot some stuff on paper and it might look good. Once you start building these things, and adding up all the little things, it adds up real quick. Take your time, do your homework, and get the best parts/assembly/machine work you can afford. And don't take a buddy's advice to the grave, unless you're 100% sure he's golden, and proved it with his own stuff. I've seen way to many people give advice on building engines at the bar or dock, and some of it is flat out scary.

If you want help, lets start with your shortblock.

What generation block do you have?

What exact crankshaft do you have?

What rods? Length, brand, style, etc.

What pistons do you plan on using? Part number/make

What flywheel and balancer do you have?

What rings are you going to use?

What oil pan are you using?

Are you going to have the block bored, honed, decked, line honed, clearanced, etc?

Next lets move to the top end.

What valves are you going to use? You'll want a Inconel exhaust valve in a marine engine.

What valve springs?

What cam style? Hyd roller or flat tappet?

What intake manifold?

What carburetor?

What ignition system?

We need to see the big picture of what you're doing.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

1988 454 thats all i know

stock so far but buying new one

manley 6.385 h beam

no clue yet

just stock so far

no clue

12 quart i believe

Are you going to have the block bored, honed, decked, line honed, clearanced, etc?
yea all the above bored .06 over by kenowa auto in mi

Dart New Blem Iron Eagle
crane gold 1.7
is all i have so far

What valves are you going to use? You'll want a Inconel exhaust valve in a marine engine.
no clue yet

What valve springs?
no clue yet

not sure

What intake manifold?
dont remeber what one we were talking about

What carburetor?
not sure yet

What ignition system?
msd is what i have for it dont know what style it is its at my shop yet

dont have much stuff yet together but just one peace at a time so far
and my friend is super smart about sbc stuff and knows a little bit about bbc stuff but not a ton but i do trust him and he is pretty dang smart when it comes to that stuff

but i do thank u a ton for helping out thats why i love this site people are pretty nice and fun to talk to, so much to learn
Old 02-17-2013, 07:29 PM
Registered

1988 454 thats all i know Make sure they sonic test the block. Its 25 years old and may very well rotted a lot of meat off the cylinder barrels. Especially at .060 over. A 4 bolt block would be better, but not totally necessary.

stock so far but buying new one. Ok. A scat 4.25 Stroker crank. Rough estimate 700.00

manley 6.385 h beam Good Rods. For a few extra bucks I'd upgrade to the ARP2000 bolts.

no clue yet. If your running iron heads, your probably gonna want to run a small dome piston, to get you around 9:1 to 9:5:1. A set of SRP's will run around 600.00

just stock so far. Since your gonna be going from a external balance, to a internal balance crank, youre old stuff wont work. Your gonna spend about 300-600 dollars here depending on quality.

no clue A basic plasma moly ring set probably about 150 bucks

12 quart i believe Good

yea all the above bored .06 over by kenowa auto in mi Machine bill could be 500-1000 bucks depending on level of work to the block.

Dart New Blem Iron Eagle
crane gold 1.7
is all i have so far

no clue yet Inconel valves roughly 40 bucks ea. So 320.00 in intake valves. Severe duty intakes, about 175 a set of 8. so roughly 500 bucks in valves total.
What valve springs?
no clue yet A decent set of valve springs for a hyd roller setup around 200 bucks. Step up to tool room springs and almost double that. Plus new retainers,seals and locks.

not sure A Hyd roller cam itself is around 300-400 bucks. Street roller lifters about 325, or endurance morel lifters about 500-600. So hyd roller cam and lifter set, about 1k bucks if you want good stuff.

What intake manifold?
dont remeber what one we were talking about You can do a professional products "hurricane intake". Its almost identical to the dart single plane, but a lot cheaper. About 225 bucks.

What carburetor?
not sure yet A single 850 or even 950 would work fine. Figure around 500-600 bucks here.

What ignition system?
msd is what i have for it dont know what style it is its at my shop yet MSD is good

Just in this thread, we're up to 4000-5000 dollars. We haven't even got into fasteners, gaskets, oil lines, and so on.

Last edited by MILD THUNDER; 02-17-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

1988 454 thats all i know Make sure they sonic test the block. Its 25 years old and may very well rotted a lot of meat off the cylinder barrels.
yes that will all be done by them

stock so far but buying new one. Ok. A scat 4.25 Stroker crank. Rough estimate 700.00
thats what we were thinking

manley 6.385 h beam Good Rods. For a few extra bucks I'd upgrade to the ARP2000 bolts.
yes have them with rods

no clue yet. If your running iron heads, your probably gonna want to run a small dome piston, to get you around 9:1 to 9:5:1. A set of SRP's will run around 600.00
i was thinking 9/1 to

just stock so far. Since your gonna be going from a external balance, to a internal balance crank, youre old stuff wont work. Your gonna spend about 300-600 dollars here depending on quality.

no clue A basic plasma moly ring set probably about 150 bucks

12 quart i believe Good

yea all the above bored .06 over by kenowa auto in mi Machine bill could be 500-1000 bucks depending on level of work to the block.
my friends dad is part owner in that company so will get that work done cheaper

Dart New Blem Iron Eagle
crane gold 1.7
is all i have so far

no clue yet Inconel valves roughly 40 bucks ea. So 320.00 in intake valves. Severe duty intakes, about 175 a set of 8. so roughly 500 bucks in valves total.
What valve springs?
no clue yet A decent set of valve springs for a hyd roller setup around 200 bucks. Step up to tool room springs and almost double that. Plus new retainers,seals and locks.
we were looking at about 200 for all the valves his dads a bunch of stuff that we can grab fron hin

not sure A Hyd roller cam itself is around 300-400 bucks. Street roller lifters about 325, or endurance morel lifters about 500-600. So hyd roller cam and lifter set, about 1k bucks if you want good stuff.

What intake manifold?
dont remeber what one we were talking about You can do a professional products "hurricane intake". Its almost identical to the dart single plane, but a lot cheaper. About 225 bucks.

What carburetor?
not sure yet A single 850 or even 950 would work fine. Figure around 500-600 bucks here.

What ignition system?
msd is what i have for it dont know what style it is its at my shop yet MSD is good

Just in this thread, we're up to 4000-5000 dollars. We haven't even got into fasteners, gaskets, oil lines, and so on.
yea i would agree on that price is it was just me and no conections to getting my hand on some good partsfor cheap there family is big into racing and that his dad is part owner at kenowa it helps out a ton

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.