496 HO Air Pump / Drain Question

Notices

496 HO Air Pump / Drain Question

Old 02-19-2013, 12:43 PM
Registered

Location: Lakeway, TX (Austin/Lake Travis) / LOTO Gravois Arm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496 HO Air Pump / Drain Question

I've done multiple searches, and can't find anything specific to my issue/question -- so here it goes:

I drained the water from my block using the blue bicycle pump. Seemed like all water drained as it usually does. Both GREEN pressure indicators on the pressure relief valve were showing.

I went to release the air pressure using the pressure relief valve (with the ring attached), and it appears that only one side of the motor released the pressure (green indicator moved back into the housing on the right side). The left side indicator is still showing -- which leads me to believe it did not release.

I re-pumped air into the system, and got the same result. I fiddled with the release valve, and can't seem to get any more pressure out of the system.

So, two questions:

1. Any ideas on how to get the remaining air pressure out? Any tricks?

2. If I were to start my motor with air pressure still in the motor, is this an issue? It seems to me that if one of the drains is still in the open position, I will quickly get water in the bilge. Worse, could I blow a hose or hoses, and/or would pressure in the system keep water from circulating as it should? I ask this because I've thought that maybe starting the motor and letting it run for a few seconds might be the trick to get the valve....unstuck (presuming it is?). Just don't want to try this for fear of doing damage.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

I2D
Old 02-19-2013, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine does this sometimes.
i just lower the boat in the water and within a couple seconds the indicator goes back in.
my boat is usually on a lift